ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Non-tech, off-the-wall topic: Gasoline/Petrol, does grade matter?

<< < (3/3)

JavaJones:
In regards to why "coasting to a stop" might not be having a noticeable effect on your fuel mileage, I'd say it's probably because it's so bad already, that even a 10% improvement (which would be quite dramatic for something as simple as coasting instead of using brakes more) would only give you about half a mile per gallon, which you probably wouldn't even notice. Whereas for a car that already gets say 30mpg, a 10% improvement gets them 3mpg extra. In other words your baseline is so bad that almost no matter what you do it's not going to make a really *big* difference in terms of your fuel cost. Even if you *double* your mileage, you're still only getting 12mpg, which is well below an average car these days, and still quite poor.

- Oshyan

wreckedcarzz:
Oshyan: Valid point as to why it could be I'm not seeing a difference. Though, at this rate, I'd be the happiest person ever to get 12MPG :P

JavaJones:
Hehe, of course. But doubling your mileage is essentially impossible with the vehicle you have of course. The point was that even doubling your mileage would still be pretty bad! Hehe. If only you could borrow against your future fuel consumption, you'd have a new car in no time! Hey, that's not a bad idea... ;)

- Oshyan

cmpm:
A tuneup is a need for sure if you have not done that,
it seems to be lacking efficiency.
Get hotter burning plugs when you tune up, check the parts store for the best ones.

And the less you press the gas pedal the less you will burn gas.
That is a fact.

If it's a standard transmission, try not to wind out the gears.
Shift at lower rpms.
Even with automatics you can let the transmission shift at lower rpms.

Raising the air pressure in the tires to the maximum will get better mileage.
Debatable to many, but I've seen the difference.

Get the front end aligned, with such large tires they need to be near perfect.
If it's used for snow plowing, I'm sure the front end is a mess.

JavaJones:
Yet with all that about the best you can hope to achieve is the manufacturer rated 8MPG! Ya needs a more efficient vehicle, no way 'round it. :D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version