ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone here using TMUX over GNU Screen?

<< < (2/3) > >>

40hz:
Well...I'm sure you could modify (and somebody probably already has) the keybindings. But why bother? If it's that big an improvement, you're probably better off using the defaults. Especially if you don't have the luxury of working exclusively on your own boxes.

That's the real reason I stopped using Dvorak keyboards a long time ago despite the fact I greatly preferred them. Once I left home it was a major pain. After a while it was just easier to use what everybody else was using for something as basic as a keyboard.

If TMUX really is that great, I'll probably switch and sit down to learn yet another set of quirks.  :-\

ewemoa:
TMUX – The Terminal Multiplexer by Cody
http://blog.hawkhost.com/2010/06/28/tmux-the-terminal-multiplexer/
-zridling (June 20, 2011, 05:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Has Cody been up to some tricks elsewhere?

ewemoa:
The following appears to be an OS X vim user's writeup of their tmux use:

A Tmux Crash Course

I’ve been using Tmux for about six months now and it has become just as essential to my workflow as vim. Pane and window management, copy-mode for navigating output, and session management make it a no-brainer for those who live in the terminal (and especially vim).

--- End quote ---

It is split up into small sections:

* Session Management
* Windows
* Panes
* Helpful Tmux commands
* Must-haves
* Workflow

zridling:
Nice to know, ewemoa. And thanks for the link!

ewemoa:
:)

Also found an intro to tmux in the Hitchhiker's Guide to OpenBSD -- specifically, in the Keyboard and Display Controls section lives:

7.9 - What is tmux(1)?

It currently contains the following portions:

* What is tmux?
* How do I use tmux?
* Configuring tmux
* Advanced tmux usage
Note about info processing...Am finding the (proper and significantly smaller) subset coverage of the various pages mentioned in this topic to be useful -- reading these bits and then returning to the man page feels easier than digesting the man page alone.  Of course, interacting with tmux itself is helpful too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version