ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

When your word processor begins openly mocking you, it's time to call it a day

<< < (3/7) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I have to say I like Word 2010 ... sorry.

Having said that it does sometimes feel like you are playing Portal .... maybe that's why I like it  :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
Well that's a clever (and somewhat frightening) solution. I take it WordPad didn't quite do what she wanted?
-Stoic Joker (June 20, 2011, 06:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wordpad on Win98 vs the beta of AOL 6.0? No comparison! I know it's hard to believe but AOL's email formatting options were better, easier to use, and more reliable.-app103 (June 20, 2011, 07:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Makes sense (been a while since I used 98), I just have a bit of an aversion to all things AOL... :)

Stoic Joker:
I have to say I like Word 2010 ... sorry.-Carol Haynes (June 20, 2011, 07:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

It tries my patience at times, but I'm getting used to it.

Jibz:
So I gave up. Now I use Softmaker Office and I'm perfectly happy with it. Especially now that it's multiplatform and comes in a piquant penguin flavor. I like it enough that it's replaced Libre as my 'go to' NIX wordprocessor.

Got the 2008 version for free. Liked it so much I bought the 2010 version, which was offered at very generous discount. (And I bought it despite the fact I already have a license for 10 copies of Office 2010)
-40hz (June 20, 2011, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same here. After their very generous offer to upgrade the free version of 2008 to 2010, I ended up uninstalling Office and am now using SoftMaker instead.

It doesn't have quite all the fancy stuff, but it's enough for my use, and it feels a lot faster. I only wish they made a Danish localization (there's dictionaries and all, but the application is in English).

iphigenie:
This is indeed my only problem with word - the formatting jumps around so much I cannot use it to write anything of substance in it. It hijacks the writing process and before you know it you spend more time cleaning up bullet lists that have gone broken for the 5th time this hour, and not writing.

Now I need more to organise my thinking than the one screen "focus" writers that exist, so am exploring a few alternatives, and it is interesting, once you start looking, how many "small business" word processors are still out there

Else i'll just reinstall Word Pro from 99 ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version