ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

XBOX 360 with Kinect or Wii?

(1/3) > >>

Renegade:
Well, I'm thinking about getting an XBOX 360 with Kinect or a Nintendo Wii. I really don't care about games, but hopefully it will help me get some exercise. So, that's my #1 and only goal - EXERCISE.

Which would you recommend?

The last gaming console I had was an Atari 2600... It's been a while...

I am NOT interested in any online gaming accounts. I do not want one. For the primary reason that I am not interested in giving my personal details and credit card information to a bunch of criminals or LulzSec.

Sony has been hacked umpteen times. SEGA just got hacked. Wii? Nintendo is just another gaming company like Sony and Sega. It's only a matter of time until they get hacked. While Microsoft takes security pretty seriously, and has improved tremendously in the last number of years, I'm still skittish about things there. I think they're less likely to get hacked, but... Where there's a will, there's some prick looking to destroy stuff and ruin the fun for everyone.

So, the less information I need to use the console, the better. I'm really only interested in playing/exercising -- not in any kind of online interaction or accounts or whatever.

Edit: I'm not worried about price. I'm worried about it being fun. If it's fun, I'll stick with it and I'll lose my gut.

Deozaan:
You know, Nintendo has often been ridiculed by the way it handles its online matchmaking stuff with the Wii and DS, but in the case of losing your privacy due to hacking, it's the best of the three. Why? Because there's no central online account. No personal information tied to a login.

They use friend codes, which are unique for each game and basically anonymous.

Or am I missing something?

As for the topic of exercise, I'm not sure which is the best, but you may not want to forget that the PS3 also has Move, which is kind of like a combination between Wii and Kinect, since it has both motion controllers and the camera.

On the other hand, you can get a Wii for $150 these days. It cost me more than that for my mobile phone with a 2-year contract!

Renegade:
I thought about the Sony thing for the entire 2 seconds it took me to think "rootkit douchebags get rooted regularly". I then moved on. :)

What I was thinkingWith the way Sony behaves, I figured I'd rather support another company. I don't think they really have anything that is so good that it overshadows their despicable behavior.

Still, looking at the PlayStation(R)Move, they seem to have ripped off both Nintendo and Microsoft in a spectacular way. Get the best of the Wii and the XBOX 360? Tempting... Very tempting...

I added it as an option.

At $200 for the Wii here, it's tempting just for that. Not sure. I just need to lose weight...

wraith808:
Well, I'm thinking about getting an XBOX 360 with Kinect or a Nintendo Wii. I really don't care about games, but hopefully it will help me get some exercise. So, that's my #1 and only goal - EXERCISE.

Which would you recommend?
-Renegade (June 19, 2011, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

360 with Kinect.  That's what I have, and I got it because it can actually sense your body.  The Wii can't.  It only senses the location of the wiimote (I feel like I lost a few brain cells just typing that).  So it can't see if you're using the correct movements.

Software-wise, I have the EA Sports Active, and it's very good!  I've heard (after the fact) that the Biggest Loser is better, but I've been satisfied with Sports Active.  And the other games give you a fair amount of exercise too- it's just that they have larger rest times between events (whether that's a dance or an activity) so you get into this startup/cooldown every few minutes that isn't as conducive to weight loss IME.  EA Sports Active also has a heart rate monitor that apparently doesn't come with the Wii version, and it has resistance bands included; it also has an accessory pack with weights and such, though I haven't splurged on that yet (for me- it's more than the game; it's $40, where I only paid $20 for the game itself).

Also, to use online features, you don't have to give CC info.   I buy my subscriptions on cards in the store or online, and buy points in the same way.  CC is easier, but you can be totally protected and still use online features.

Renegade:
I could be barking up the wrong tree:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=90064&page=3

Bryant agrees, although he is quick to praise Nintendo for its ability to use technology in a positive manner. He just doesn't want people to use Wii Fit as an alternative to actual fitness activities.
--- End quote ---

But compared to now, anything is an improvement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version