Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 02, 2014, 11:55:31 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: PACKETT.DLL problem  (Read 337 times)
bex1210
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 30, 2014, 12:51:53 PM »

I just downloaded the portable version .zip file of URL Snooper (2.34.01) onto a USB stick, and extracted it there.

If I use the USB stick on my Windows XP Pro (SP3) 32 bit computer, Snooper opens just fine.

But if I use the USB stick on either of my two Windows 7 Pro 64 bit computers (desktop and laptop), when I try to open the .exe file, I get this error message:

"URLSnooper.exe - System Error
The Program can't start because PACKET.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Packet.dll is on my XP computer in the Windows\System 32 directory, but it is not on either of the Windows 7 computers, so I assume it is not installed by Windows. (Note: I have an earlier version of URL Snooper [2.26.01] installed ON my XP computer, so perhaps URL Snooper installed packet.dll then??)

I did note that on the Windows 7 computers, I had to run as an administrator. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Since it opens just fine on my XP, it must not be an installation problem. Have you seen this error, and if so, what is the solution?

Harry
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 12:58:39 PM »

URL Snooper still requires the WinPCap library to be installed on the machine.  The WinPCap installer is launched automatically by the URL Snooper installer, but will have to be run manually on machines where you are trying to run URL Snooper portably.

I realize these makes URL Snooper portable use somewhat less convenient, but it's out of my hands.

It *MIGHT* be possible to use the WinPCap DLLs somewhat portably with out running the WinPCap installer, and putting thee DLLS in the URL Snooper directory -- if someone figures out how, let us know.
bex1210
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 03:37:58 PM »

Thanks for the very rapid reply.

The restriction you mentioned doesn't make it very portable, unfortunately. Might as well just install 2.34.01 on each computer, which is what I did.

It has been several years since I used URL Snooper, and I have a very basic problem, which I could not find addressed in the FAQ, etc.

If I Manually Scan a URL, or if I Perform a URL Search on Files on my computer, it all works just fine. And it finds my Network Adapter just fine. And when I sniff the network, it receives 50-100 packets (0 buffered locally). However, nothing is displayed in Index, Timestamp, URL, etc. I am sure I am doing something stupid, but I can't figure out what it is.

Harry

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.029s | Server load: 0.1 ]