topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Compressing Outlook-Datafiles (PST) for free without Outlook?  (Read 6382 times)

Sascha

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi there,

currently I am looking for a freeware tool, that is able to compress PST-Files without Outlook.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Compressing Outlook-Datafiles (PST) for free without Outlook?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 06:31 PM »
Isn't Outlook (2003 and higher) not capable of compressing PST itself? Or does it throw away attachments?

Anywayz, There is an option that can trim it automatically in 2007 and higher (if memory serves me right). There is also a Free (and portable) version of Mailstore Home with which you can create backup from your email. After having done so, you can clear out your PST yourself.

Best advice? When you're not connected to an Exchange server, stop using Outlook. Completely. Utterly. Immediately!
At least you don't have to work around this archaic limit anymore. If you do have to connect to Exchange, you're S.O.L.

Sascha

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Hi,

I have to use Outlook 2003 with an Exchange Server in the Office. Unfortunately it is not allowed to use PST-Files - therefore I am not able to compress it with Outlook itself; the admin disabled the menu-item :(

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 02:51 PM »
To my understanding no data files are stored on your PC, only Outlook itself. Your data is stored on the central (Exchange) server.

In that case your mail, agenda, address book, etc. are stored there. If space is lacking, let your administrator know about this so he can assign more storage space to your account.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:05 AM »
If Exchange caching mode is enabled (in outlook) Outlook will create an .ost file which is used for (laptops mainly) offline access.

Either way the .ost/.pst files aren't compressed unless they are being exported. They can be compacted for maintenance/performance reasons, but that's not really the same thing. Your not going to gain more storage space on the Exchange server by compressing the local file regardless. Those limits are set by administrators for reasons... ;)

Sascha

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 01:54 PM »
Ok, the problem is that I included the PST-Files before the admin disabled the using of these files by group policies ;)
Therefore I am able to 'work' with these files (add / remove emails) but I am not able to use any of the functions that are related to the menu-items e.g. compress or create a new file.

Due to the exchange servers 100MB quota I move every mail to one of thes PST-Files and remove the attachments with 'Outlook Attachment Sniffer'....

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 02:38 PM »
If you shut down Outlook, copy the pst file(s) to an USB stick/drive, burn on DVD or copy over the network to some transportable medium, take them home with you and compress them on your home-PC (using a local copy of outlook), then take em back in the opposite direction. Wouldn't that work for you?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:44 PM »
I included the PST-Files before the admin disabled the using of these files

Meaning it's listed in Account Settings as a seperate secondary storage location? Or did you just do import .pst file from the file menu?

If you did an import then it was actually just streamed into your Exchange mailbox. If it's a secondary storage location them you're at the Admin's mercy as to what can be done with it.

It possible depending on how it was done that you just need to right click-properties on the right Personal Files Folder parent to get to the compaction function for that file. I bring this up because I'm running Outlook 2010 with Exchange and have caching disabled. And the compaction functions are disabled on my machine when I go into properties. Being that I am the Admin I have access to everything ... So I do believe it's safe to assume that these are just/only disabled by Outlook due to there not being enabled/relevent.

Sascha

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 05:31 AM »
If it's a secondary storage location them you're at the Admin's mercy as to what can be done with it.
It is ;)