ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Compressing Outlook-Datafiles (PST) for free without Outlook?

(1/2) > >>

Sascha:
Hi there,

currently I am looking for a freeware tool, that is able to compress PST-Files without Outlook.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Shades:
Isn't Outlook (2003 and higher) not capable of compressing PST itself? Or does it throw away attachments?

Anywayz, There is an option that can trim it automatically in 2007 and higher (if memory serves me right). There is also a Free (and portable) version of Mailstore Home with which you can create backup from your email. After having done so, you can clear out your PST yourself.

Best advice? When you're not connected to an Exchange server, stop using Outlook. Completely. Utterly. Immediately!
At least you don't have to work around this archaic limit anymore. If you do have to connect to Exchange, you're S.O.L.

Sascha:
Hi,

I have to use Outlook 2003 with an Exchange Server in the Office. Unfortunately it is not allowed to use PST-Files - therefore I am not able to compress it with Outlook itself; the admin disabled the menu-item :(

Shades:
To my understanding no data files are stored on your PC, only Outlook itself. Your data is stored on the central (Exchange) server.

In that case your mail, agenda, address book, etc. are stored there. If space is lacking, let your administrator know about this so he can assign more storage space to your account.

Stoic Joker:
If Exchange caching mode is enabled (in outlook) Outlook will create an .ost file which is used for (laptops mainly) offline access.

Either way the .ost/.pst files aren't compressed unless they are being exported. They can be compacted for maintenance/performance reasons, but that's not really the same thing. Your not going to gain more storage space on the Exchange server by compressing the local file regardless. Those limits are set by administrators for reasons... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version