ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DOS Batch Functions Tutorial

<< < (3/6) > >>

justice:
What's the point of making them exe files.

--- Code: Autohotkey ---SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  BatchFile = test.batFieInstall, %BatchFile%,%A_Temp%RunWait, %A_Temp%\%BatchFile%,%A_WorkingDir%FileDelete, %A_Temp%\%BatchFile%

ewemoa:
Never figured out how to have a batch file have a custom icon, whereas this is possible for an exe.

oblivion:
I've been using a little freebie called BatchCompiler for some years, as a way to lock down batchfiles against casual modification and ensure maximum portability. (Can't remember where I got it now, and the readme only quotes the author's name -- Ricardo Arias -- but hey, Google is your friend.)

--- End quote ---
Apparently, I wasn't Google's really good friend today :(

--- End quote ---
Obviously I should check these rash statements before I make them.

My copy of BatchCompiler's on a machine I'm not going to be anywhere near for another week, but if you want a look I've definitely got the original distribution zipfile on there, so if you don't find it beforehand, let me know your email privately and I'll get it to you sometime on the 27th. It's quite old, from memory, maybe 2003, so I guess the author decided he wasn't going to carry on supporting it...

ewemoa:
Thanks for the offer  :)

Perhaps I'll attempt another round at searching, but I start to wonder whether it's such a wise idea for me to make a habit out of using a tool which doesn't appear to be maintained...hmmm...

IainB:
@oblivion
@ewemoa:                Re: Batch Compiler.
From memory, there was a batch compiler in 4DOS (I referred to 4DOS in a post above), but I never actually needed to use it except to try it out, so cannot comment on it.
I did some googling using "Batch Compiler Ricardo Arias" search terms. I did find links/references to those terms - mostly in the Spanish language - but no download source for the Batch Compiler.
On one site Purebasic.com there was this "user opinion":
Ricardo Arias, Argentina
"I come from Visual Basic.
Then I was searching for something small, with no runtimes, speed and easy too.
Maybe PureBasic doesn't have that quantity of sourcecode available, but a great community that always help each other."
--- End quote ---
(By the way, reading about it on that site, I thought that PureBasic looked like a great Basic language + compiler. I might try it out,)     :)

I also found this link: a Batch to EXE Converter on F2K0.de
You can download it from there, but it's probably not the Batch Compiler from Ricardo Arias.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version