topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Difficulties with JottiQ & Virus Total  (Read 4658 times)

peterlonz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Difficulties with JottiQ & Virus Total
« on: June 16, 2011, 02:43 AM »
Hi everyone,

It's been a few years since I first used Jotti & I do not recall ever before using VirusTotal.
Recently I have been concerned about upping my confidence level when scanning.
I use MSSE & Spybot S & D, configured as "always on", & selectively scan with Malwarebytes, Avast, & Superantispyware.
My system is: Win7(64).
I noticed the following problems with both services after downloading & installing JottiQ:
Repeated upload difficulties, "failed to upload", "upload timed out", "server busy" & lengthy queing.
Jotti was particularly slow with poor server availablity.
Each seemed to check the hash of each file & appeared to stop dead if the hash was not found. Now I have no idea why, or how, or if, that should stop a file upload for a AV check. After all I just wish to know if any particular file could be a threat.
Interestingly the files that I could not upload (after many tries) presented no problems to my installed AV
programs.
The whole exercise was very time consuming & unless I can discover how to overcome the above difficulties, both services will effectively be useless to me.
Can anyone help or confirm these are not difficulties unique to my system (or me).
Thanks,
Peter O

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Difficulties with JottiQ & Virus Total
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 04:52 AM »
I also occasionally have difficulty with uploading to at least virustotal.  After a few incidents I think I was under the impression that it had to do with the time of day I was making the attempts -- but this is just speculation.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:28 AM »
I can offer you two tips:

1. Using virustotal uploader.

2. Relaxing a little bit. If the installed antivirus has no problems with a file, chances are virustotal (or jottiq, or another antivirus) will have none either. If a file is a virus for antivirus A, and not a virus for antivirus B, you almost certainly have a false positive in case of antivirus A.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:52 AM »
FWIW, I encountered uploading difficulties using the uploader program from virustotal.  That's my main mode of interaction with them.  Is there some reason the uploader would give better uploading experiences?

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 08:14 AM »
Have you contacted the authors?

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 04:02 PM »
No I haven't -- hasn't occurred to me to be something that they don't know about.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 04:44 PM »
Do you think that Google buying the company will end these problems?

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 01:35 AM »
So, I only see this one now by accident because it recently got kicked up... but for as far JottiQ is concerned, I can't explain why the OP got the errors he got. Perhaps Jotti was having issues, or perhaps there is an interfering entity between his computer and Jotti.

One other thing that could have interfered is a virus on the computer itself. For example, many rootkits, viruses or other malware will (try to) block Jotti and VirusTotal. Likewise, I would not be surprised if they were really anal and tried to block hashes of themselves from being transmitted, but that should be very unlikely given the fact that JottiQ uses HTTPS for its communication with Jotti.

Simply put... there are lots of possible reasons that stuff can't work like that.