ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Updating the forum software to 1.1RC2

<< < (3/4) > >>

allen:
Using IE/Firefox, links opening in a new window drives me completely batty.  On the other hand, links opening in new tabs is good.  Unfortunately Firefox doesn't provide a means for developers to open a new tab except through the chrome--extension developers can create tabs, web devs cannot.  Firefox now has "tab browsing" options though, doesn't it -- to force tab usage instead of window?

Opera is another story, being a true MDI and all.  "New Window" stays within the main Opera window, nicely contained -- as it should be.

I like to be in control of what links open in the same window and which open new windows, but I imagine there are enough people who don't know/won't be bothered to middle click, you'd get all manner of complaints. . .

But, as a designer who has had "Do not open links in new windows" pounded into his head, I feel compelled to homilize just a bit.

[blockquote]Opening up new browser windows is like a vacuum cleaner sales person who starts a visit by emptying an ash tray on the customer's carpet. Don't pollute my screen with any more windows, thanks (particularly since current operating systems have miserable window management). If I want a new window, I will open it myself!

Designers open new browser windows on the theory that it keeps users on their site. But even disregarding the user-hostile message implied in taking over the user's machine, the strategy is self-defeating since it disables the Back button which is the normal way users return to previous sites. Users often don't notice that a new window has opened, especially if they are using a small monitor where the windows are maximized to fill up the screen. So a user who tries to return to the origin will be confused by a grayed out Back button. [/blockquote]

A read on the matter:
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/beware-opening-links-new-window

I find it ironic that this article, initially, has advertising taking up a significant portion of your lower viewport . . . which, to me, should be some sort of huge no-no.  At least it's not a new window, they say, at least we give you a "turn it off" button, they say . . . :)

mouser:
i think this is wise advice.

we should also add another important fact:
tabbed browsers all have an option to open a link in a new tab.
but the opposite is not true - so opening in same page by default is not so hard for users who want things in new tabs to work around, while the opposite may not be the case.

i guess you've mostly convinced me to disable this feature of the forum..

however i still feel like when you are in a forum it's a bit different - because the workflow normall dictates that you are usually going to want to continue browsing in the forum - and losing your place is an expensive waste of time if you have to try to find your way back..

superboyac:
I'm going to have to agree with mouser on this.  While that article makes sense about links opening in new windows, and I agree with it, I think forums are different than general websites.  I've been on all kinds of forums and I prefer it when links open up in new windows (or tabs).  Rarely, if ever do I go to a link from a thread and not return to that thread, so having to come back to it is a waste of time. 

Not only that, but the general flow of forums is not the same as the flow while navigating the web in general.  Usually, links in forums are like "Oh, check this out" or "here's their website"...it's more of a footnote usually in the discussion.  So it's not like you're going to click the link and now that begins a new  journey that will continue farther, and you won't return to the forum.  That's why it's different than, say, a normal google search or web browsing.

In other words, please keep the links opening in new windows.  It's different for forums, and the example that the author gave in that article, as you can tell, are definitely not forum examples.

jroad:
One feature that I thought would be useful is the ability to restrict a search to a particular forum.  Some forums, have something called Quick Search that does this.  Maybe this already exists, but I haven't been able to find it?

The other day I found myself wanting to use this feature when trying to find out more info about Find & Run Robot in it's forum, but my searches were not limited, making it difficult to find what I wanted at the time.

jgpaiva:
One feature that I thought would be useful is the ability to restrict a search to a particular forum.-jroad (March 10, 2006, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
That already can be done, you just go to search->advanced search, and you can select the boards to search! ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version