ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Updating the forum software to 1.1RC2

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
I've been updating the forum software - it's been several days of non-stop work due to all of the customizations we have written since we started, and because of the large changes in the SMF software with their latest release.  But they are some good changes that will help us out in the future.

Anyway, I've been working on a test mirror installation so that i can test it all before i install the upgrade onto this main forum, but i'll be updating this forum in the next few days.

I thought while i was at it this would be a good time to open the floor to any requests for features to add to the forum - now is as good a time as ever to request features.

momonan:
I'm probably the only one here who likes to look at the yearbook, but it is so fun to see all the avatars and watch new members being added.  (Click "view the supporters yearbook" in the upper right box, if you haven't seen it yet.)  Here are some changes that might be good:

1.  Right now, members are listed chronologically.  It would be great if they could also be listed alphabetically, so we can easily find someone.

2.  A search feature to easily find a post made by a particular person would be nice.  I know it's possible, now, to use the search button, then advanced search, to find a post someone made, but that is not terribly intuitive and only works if you put in the right keywords.  Sometimes I would just like to see all the posts made by a particular person because I remember they said something I wanted to read again, but may not remember any particular keywords.  Right now, that's not possible (I tried, by specifying my name and putting a *in the keyword box, and got nothing).  One way to do this would be with a link from the yearbook avatar to the profile page, from which we could access all that person's posts, with an option to put in keywords, to narrow the search.

Rover:
momonan has some good ideas.

It's kind of neat to see how many people have joined.  We must have a LOT of lurkers, cause I don't recognize  lot of the names.  I hope the site edutaining for everyone (edutaining - Educatoinal & Entertaining combined).  :D

jgpaiva:
2.  A search feature to easily find a post made by a particular person would be nice.-momonan (March 08, 2006, 08:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's not exactly a search feature, but on a post, you can click the person's nick to see his profile, and from the profile, select "See the last posts by this person".
It actually isn't only the last posts, it has everything someone posted. (at least, it looks like it doesn, since it has all of mouser's 5587 posts ;))

mouser:
i've been working non-stop on the forum enhancements for last few days.  hope that everyone will like the changes.
plus we have some very exciting new developments on the site happening soon :)
stop by the irc chat channel (see chat button above) if you want to get the url to test drive the new forum testdrive look.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version