ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snack Guidelines

idea: make scroll lock <say> remap arrow key functions to page,home, end etc.

(1/3) > >>

brotman:
'Situation:  I am able to type only using my right hand.  I recently "inherited" a very nice SONY viao laptop,  I love using it when I'm away from my desktop.

Problem: This laptop has separate (inverted T") cursor keys. Unfortunately it does not have separate keys for  numbers, page-up,down pg-dn home, and end.  To get those functions one must press a "Fn" key located between the left ctrl and windows keys. I cannot do this with one hand.  (If it were on the right side ofg the space bar it would be no problem!)... I  spoke with the Folks at Sony and the told me that the "Fn" key is intercepted before it gets to windows, so standard key remapping won't work.  I've had limited only success using AHK to remap alt or ctrl with the cursor keys to the required functions (it appears that odd thins happen where ctrl or alt lead to ctrl + alt being received. 

What might help??:  I'd like to be able to choose an otherwise unused key, like scroll lock, to act as a modal switch to turn on the alternate meanings for the cursor. It seems like AHK could allow me to do this, but I'm not sure exactly how to accomplish this. 

Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

Ath:
I think the essence is in what Sony told you already. The Fn key isn't handled by Windows but by the BIOS, not modifiable by any software intervention.
Would connecting a more you-friendly keyboard be a solution? One that has all the normal keys in a configuration that you can use it with one hand only? I assume you had something usable before you got the laptop.

Ath:
Another rigorous option could be to pull out the keyboard, grab a soldering iron and some wire, and re-wire the Scroll-Lock key to be connected parallel to the Fn key (and no longer be the Scroll-lock key). Then pop the keyboard back in. Voila 8).

mouser:
I'd like to be able to choose an otherwise unused key, like scroll lock, to act as a modal switch to turn on the alternate meanings for the cursor. It seems like AHK could allow me to do this, but I'm not sure exactly how to accomplish this.
--- End quote ---

Your request seems reasonable and indeed a clever idea, and ahk should be able to handle this easily I think.

Ath: There is no need to manipulate the fn key, the idea would be to simply check the ScrollLock state and trigger the alternative keys if it is engaged.  The only tricky part is preventing the original keypress from going through.

skwire:
I can do this.  Please provide me a list of which new keystroke you would like to assign to each arrow key when the ScrollLock is engaged.  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version