ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for advice, tips, wisdom: Adding my 1st Mac into the [tech] family...

<< < (9/14) > >>

Stoic Joker:
@40hz:
Rite of passage would describe it better, I think.  :Thmbsup:
-Shades (June 12, 2011, 01:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm...

turning point
(turning points plural ) A turning point is a time at which an important change takes place which affects the future of a person or thing.
--- End quote ---

rite of passage
a ritual event that marks an individual's progress from one status to another
--- End quote ---

Maybe...but I think I'm going to stick with turning point. :P-40hz (June 12, 2011, 05:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Having been through the event from both sides (my father to me & me to my son), I must agree with Shades completely. While not necessarily ritualistic as it has no specifically structured steps, it is none the less a key and necessary transition that affords one a prideful look of approval from their patriarch...(inclusive of the rights earned from the accompanying respect)..when they finally "pass" this very crucial (and specific) test of responsibility.

40hz:
^Wouldn't know. Never got that approval.  ;D

jgpaiva:
They disable right click by default .... WTF !!!
-Carol Haynes (June 12, 2011, 05:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
From what I know, the logic behind it is that the right mouse click "hides" options. So, they force the developers to make interfaces where the right mouse click is used as least as possible.

One of my pet hates with Macs is the mouse/mousepad. I particularly hate that you can't tap the mousepad to click - my bottom is more ergonomic than that  :-[
-Carol Haynes (June 12, 2011, 05:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually, that's not true (at least not in the recent macs). The touchpads do pretty much everything that PC laptops do (form "tap to click" to "tap and drag" to drag/select) and wayyyy more (two fingers to scroll, pinch, rotate and if you install BetterTouchTool, you can customize a ton of gestures using several fingers and stuff like that). And all that way more smoothly that I've seen in any PC.
Actually, to be fair, I think it's one of the few things they got right. (that and the charger with magnet connect, the keyboard with light and stupendous touch and the great laptop battery). What I really hate is that you get an entry-level PC for the cost of a high-end PC, (and to make matters worse, if you install windows on a mac you get to play games with better framerates), an OS with way more errors than one would expect from their publicity and, the worst part of all, the worst support community ever: it is totally impossible to find solutions for problems with the OS, and the users are complete idiots with the "mac superiority".

Carol Haynes:
Actually, that's not true (at least not in the recent macs). The touchpads do pretty much everything that PC laptops do (form "tap to click" to "tap and drag" to drag/select) and wayyyy more (two fingers to scroll, pinch, rotate and if you install BetterTouchTool, you can customize a ton of gestures using several fingers and stuff like that). And all that way more smoothly that I've seen in any PC.
-jgpaiva (June 12, 2011, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I obviously haven't used a recent enough Mac - I don't feel like I am missing anything ...

the worst part of all, the worst support community ever: it is totally impossible to find solutions for problems with the OS
--- End quote ---

That's because it is a perfect OS that never goes wrong - get with the pack ...

wreckedcarzz:
The touchpads do pretty much everything that PC laptops do (form "tap to click" to "tap and drag" to drag/select) and wayyyy more (two fingers to scroll, pinch, rotate and if you install BetterTouchTool, you can customize a ton of gestures using several fingers and stuff like that). And all that way more smoothly that I've seen in any PC.
--- End quote ---

FWIW, my Asus EeePC 1005HA-P (netbook I bought back in 09 because my then-primary laptop's screen broke off) has all those features, including the "extra ones," built in. And the "clicker" is one button, but does both left and right click.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version