ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a single timeline task planning tool

(1/3) > >>

uuderzo:
Hi all...

I'm looking (with no luck until now) for a really simple task planning tool with the following features:

* Single timeline (i hate gantt complexity)
* Single resource.
* Being able to define tasks (description, notes, color, duration in days and hours)
* Tasks will "stack" or "append" to each other (i need only sequential tasks)
* By setting the starting date of the sequence, all tasks will compute start/end date, considering weekends and holidays
* By reordering tasks (drag'n drop) all date recalculation will refresh automatically
* A timeline graphical representation
My search is driven by the need to get some tool that will fast allow me to recompute due date of my tasks with near-to-zero-effort. I don't need to plan a complex project. There are many other complex project planner used by other people, i need only a fast tool for a single resource planning (me)

Anyone knows something like that?

Thank you! Umberto

Ath:
This is probably too much, but would openproj be usable?

uuderzo:
Thank you Ath for your feedback.

Too bad OpenProj (like, GanttProject, MSProject and so on) falls under the cathegory of what i feel "too-much-complicated-to-be-useful".

I mean... all those are good tools, but are they really useful to plan a single resource time allocation? I feel they are useful only for project planners that need to fit each resource in its time slot.

I found myself wasting lots of time to set up a scheduling with those tools and, due to the intrinsic complexity and rigidity of the tool, the schedule always had a really short life before being out of sync (in my work i need often to re-schedule and those tools are too much "static" for this kind of use).

So I decided to stop looking for gantt tools and trying to find a one where each time slot is on a single, sequential, timeline.

I't more effective for my needs.

Thank you anyway! Umberto

joiwind:
uuderzo : this might do some of the things you are looking for, though it may be too simple...

elvisbrown:
Task Coach

I've used this for a number of years, simple, portable and free

http://www.taskcoach.org/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version