ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why ebooks are bad for you

<< < (2/16) > >>

mahesh2k:
Is Nook also enforcing DRM deletion like kindle ?

zridling:
Is Nook also enforcing DRM deletion like kindle ?-mahesh2k (June 11, 2011, 02:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
No, but Barnes&Noble typically charges slightly more for books than Amazon.

It's ironic that if someone posts a nude picture online, it's permanent. But if I want to buy an ebook, I'm the last one who has control over it, from DRM to which device I can download it to, read it on, whether I can save it onto my HD and then transfer it to another device of mine, whether I can donate it or give it to a friend or pass it on to the next generation, what happens if the company loses my purchase data -- how can I get access to the book again? and at least a dozen other issues no one in the industry wants to talk about. Stallman's point is that the distribution and control of ebooks already go far beyond copyright law.

doctorfrog:
What about e-books published in open formats that are DRM free? :huh:
-Deozaan (June 10, 2011, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

The device is still capable of tying personally identifiable information about you to the book, and remotely deleting or modifying it. There are no laws that I'm aware of that would keep Amazon, or any other company, from doing either of these things, or simply recording your behavior quietly, as the collected data awaits a sales opportunity or subpoena. Can't do this on a massive scale with physical books.

OR CAN YOU (tinfoil)

wraith808:
The device is still capable of tying personally identifiable information about you to the book, and remotely deleting or modifying it. There are no laws that I'm aware of that would keep Amazon, or any other company, from doing either of these things, or simply recording your behavior quietly, as the collected data awaits a sales opportunity or subpoena. Can't do this on a massive scale with physical books.
-doctorfrog (June 11, 2011, 11:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are outlets other than b&n and amazon for purchasing non-drm books.  And if one of them actually modified something on the device that you didn't purchase from them, that would be a very bad thing for them (and pretty stupid also, as most would have backups - or in the case of a couple of outlets you can re-download).

Josh:
-doctorfrog (June 11, 2011, 11:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are outlets other than b&n and amazon for purchasing non-drm books.  And if one of them actually modified something on the device that you didn't purchase from them, that would be a very bad thing for them (and pretty stupid also, as most would have backups - or in the case of a couple of outlets you can re-download).
-wraith808 (June 12, 2011, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Which sites do you know of? I am always looking for some good non-drm sites to buy ebooks for my kindle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version