topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A suggestion for reviews  (Read 8908 times)

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A suggestion for reviews
« on: May 16, 2005, 06:00 PM »
I like the new day of Monday for the release of reviews. May I suggest posting the reviews (via a private link in the member forums) for members first to review for a day or two, before posting publicly to the site (Tuesday or Wednesday), as there seems to be many modifications, updates, etc that come from member response on each round-up.  Just a consideration, great work with the site!

Cheers

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: A suggestion for reviews
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 06:05 PM »
yes
this is a very good idea and one i intended on doing for this email review, as we knew it was going to be needing some modifications, as all the reviews have so far.

and having an early link for members to comment on is the perfect solution.
it's just really hard to get these reviews done on deadline, and i slipped this time because i spend most of the last week working on my new Screenshot Captor program.

i think it's definitely a good idea we should make standard practice, maybe idea would be have review up sunday afternoon, with private comments through to monday and then live public on monday?  ideally it would be up long before then but in reality its just hard to get these things written too far ahead of time due to real life obligations.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 06:41 PM »
Personally I appreciate any reviews that do come. I don't think there has to be a weekly commitment. It's nice, but two weeks might be more realistic for the depth of review purposes & for your own personal obligations.  I'm sure it's just a matter of time before there are enough software savvy people on these forums able to contribute meaningfully (even more than there are now) for there to be more collaborative reviewing (taking some of the work off your shoulders). I don't know. I just don't think you have to go too over-the-top to make this site work, it will come, there are plenty of us 'softaholics' (thanks zaine) out there ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 06:54 PM »
well, one weekend a month is now being devoted to coding snacks, so that makes 3 review per month currently.
ideally id let to set up a bunch of people who can do reviews, so that each person is only working on 1 per month or so, that would help immensely.  otherwise we may indeed slow down the pace of reviews, and do some other stuff every week.

i like the idea of something new weekly.
so we could entertain other possibilities,
one weekend per month a full detailed award review like we are currently doing.
one weekend per month a coding snacks weekend.
one weekend per month a group forum review, where we pick a program or category and then a bunch of use do our own evaluation and discussion of what we like best.
one weekend per month .. ?

ideas welcomed.