topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Web vs. Device?  (Read 6362 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Web vs. Device?
« on: June 08, 2011, 12:00 PM »
This is a good read:

http://www.techrepub...ces/8492?tag=nl.e098

Final analysis
All that said, let me try to boil this down into two sentences that shouldn’t surprise you. For Google, the Web is the center of the universe. For Apple, your device is the center of the universe.

Can they both be right?

I'm not sure... For the layman, I'm leaning towards device. For the savvy, I'm leaning towards web... Still... Tough call.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Web vs. Device?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:12 PM »
I'd agree with your assessment Ren- at least until you decide on a device.  One of the main factors influencing my decision not to get out of the iOS garden is now the investment in apps that I have.  :-[

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:58 PM »
Insightful article by Jason Hiner. It is ironic that what Apple is trying to accomplish with iCloud is what Google is built for! And yet while Google is fine for small utility apps, there's no pretense of style. Funny that the author doesn't see Apple's iCloud as a direct response to Microsoft's 365 and other big moves lately. He quotes Lessien: "In Apple’s vision, the cloud makes native apps better. Others see the cloud as a substitute for native apps."

"the cloud makes native apps better" -- Duh... isn't that what Microsoft's been doing since Office 2003?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Is it just me or does this pattern sound familiar:

Given *ANY* technological or software announcement X,
  • If that same announcement X was made by Microsoft: It's boring and not worth anyone mentioning it anywhere.
  • If that same announcement X was made by Google: It's breathlessly significant engineering feat and tecnological world changer discussed by every website on planet for a month (after which everyone can forget about it until the next new beta announcement).
  • If that same announcement X was made by Apple: It's a Business Marketing Masterpiece bound to shake up the computer industry.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 06:05 PM »
Is it just me or does this pattern sound familiar:

Given *ANY* technological or software announcement X,
  • If that same announcement X was made by Microsoft: It's boring and not worth anyone mentioning it anywhere.
  • If that same announcement X was made by Google: It's breathlessly significant engineering feat and tecnological world changer discussed by every website on planet for a month (after which everyone can forget about it until the next new beta announcement).
  • If that same announcement X was made by Apple: It's a Business Marketing Masterpiece bound to shake up the computer industry.

Sounds about right.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 01:25 AM »
@mouser:
I believe that's because almost everyone in regular and business media uses Apple products and services. Watch any morning show, cable or network, and their iPhones are all sitting right there in front of them. On the business channels they virtually have on-camera orgasms when describing Apple stock or it's daily product announcement. It's all about novelty (the latest new thing!), not actual utility.

The other thing I find funny is that a Windows or Linux user can use Apple software and immediately spot 6 to 26 problems or bad decisions. Yet you never see an Apple-ite write critical reviews, why? Fear of being banned or hated by the community? (Cult mentality: don't speak ill of Dear Leader, or else!)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 07:01 AM »
Blind faith has never really been my strong suite...So if the only copy of my data is in someone elses hands... (hehe) ...No. I'll vote device. Because if I lose my data, that'll suck. But if you lose my data, somebody's gonna get hurt... :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 08:36 AM »
... Because if I lose my data, that'll suck. But if you lose my data, somebody's gonna get hurt...

-my attitude as well

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 08:42 AM »
Because if I lose my data, that'll suck. But if you lose my data, somebody's gonna get hurt... :)

Hehehe~! I love that~!  ;D

Sort of on topic...

I had a server with Layered Technologies. Raid 1 mirrored. A drive died. Server went off-line. They f**ked the other drive and formatted it...

I don't think I need to say how I felt about that.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 08:45 AM »
Apple will continue to get a free ride as long as Steve Jobs is alive. Once he's gone it will be open season on Apple because it will finally get called on all the problems many in the tech press are reluctant to acknowledge.

Of course the fanboys will be ok with that. Because if Apple does fail after Jobs is gone,  they have an excuse that fits in with their mythology: Steve (the Messiah) is dead - and it was only HIS "vision" that made it all possible.

I truly do believe if Jobs has any genius at all, it lies in his uncanny ability to surround himself with very bright people who are completely willing to let him claim their innovations and contributions as his own.

There has to be some kind of brilliance present to be able to do that.   :-\

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 08:59 AM »
I had a server with Layered Technologies. Raid 1 mirrored. A drive died. Server went off-line. They f**ked the other drive and formatted it...

Not the first time I've heard of that happening. I've also known of an instance where a tech tossed the good drive in the trash, installed a new drive, and then couldn't figure out why he couldn't create a new mirror set with the bad drive. Thank Buddah the good drive wasn't damaged or picked up by the trash guys before he figured out what he'd done.

RAID  diagnostics report which drive has failed. That's why those multidrive bays have numbers on the slots. You'd think if the controller reported the drive in slot 1 failed, he'd look at the slot number rather than pull out the first drive in the multibay - which is usually slot zero rather than 1.

Even dumber was when he got caught. Rather than acknowledge he made a fixable mistake he tried to lie his way out if it. Unfortunately, the manager he was "explaining" things to wasn't clueless about servers.

Which is how I found out about it. (And also got a new client in the process.)  :D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Apple will continue to get a free ride as long as Steve Jobs is alive. Once he's gone it will be open season on Apple because it will finally get called on all the problems many in the tech press are reluctant to acknowledge.

Perhaps so, but I bet they wait three days before drawing any conclusions...  :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 12:05 PM »

Perhaps so, but I bet they wait three days before drawing any conclusions...  :D

;D

It will only be a problem if that wooden stake somehow works itself loose. :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 12:15 PM »

Perhaps so, but I bet they wait three days before drawing any conclusions...  :D

Groan~! (But much agreed~!)

Please watch some random Slayer video now:

Raining Blood

God Hates Us All (Disciple)