ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Web vs. Device?

(1/3) > >>

Renegade:
This is a good read:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/apple-cloud-vs-google-cloud-the-philosophical-differences/8492?tag=nl.e098

Final analysis
All that said, let me try to boil this down into two sentences that shouldn’t surprise you. For Google, the Web is the center of the universe. For Apple, your device is the center of the universe.

Can they both be right?
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure... For the layman, I'm leaning towards device. For the savvy, I'm leaning towards web... Still... Tough call.

wraith808:
I'd agree with your assessment Ren- at least until you decide on a device.  One of the main factors influencing my decision not to get out of the iOS garden is now the investment in apps that I have.  :-[

zridling:
Insightful article by Jason Hiner. It is ironic that what Apple is trying to accomplish with iCloud is what Google is built for! And yet while Google is fine for small utility apps, there's no pretense of style. Funny that the author doesn't see Apple's iCloud as a direct response to Microsoft's 365 and other big moves lately. He quotes Lessien: "In Apple’s vision, the cloud makes native apps better. Others see the cloud as a substitute for native apps."

"the cloud makes native apps better" -- Duh... isn't that what Microsoft's been doing since Office 2003?

mouser:
Is it just me or does this pattern sound familiar:

Given *ANY* technological or software announcement X,

* If that same announcement X was made by Microsoft: It's boring and not worth anyone mentioning it anywhere.
* If that same announcement X was made by Google: It's breathlessly significant engineering feat and tecnological world changer discussed by every website on planet for a month (after which everyone can forget about it until the next new beta announcement).
* If that same announcement X was made by Apple: It's a Business Marketing Masterpiece bound to shake up the computer industry.

Renegade:
Is it just me or does this pattern sound familiar:

Given *ANY* technological or software announcement X,

* If that same announcement X was made by Microsoft: It's boring and not worth anyone mentioning it anywhere.
* If that same announcement X was made by Google: It's breathlessly significant engineering feat and tecnological world changer discussed by every website on planet for a month (after which everyone can forget about it until the next new beta announcement).
* If that same announcement X was made by Apple: It's a Business Marketing Masterpiece bound to shake up the computer industry.
-mouser (June 08, 2011, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds about right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version