topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Zenix is a "fun, fast, different" Linux distro!  (Read 14166 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Zenix is a "fun, fast, different" Linux distro!
« on: June 08, 2011, 04:53 AM »
Susan Linton over at ostatic.com provides a short take on the Zenix distro:
Back when I used to write full-length distribution reviews for a living, I always kept my eyes open for unique offerings. Unique distros were few and far between, but when those jewels were found - fun followed. Well, one of those gems of the Linux world appeared on my radar this evening. Zenix GNU/Linux is a Debian-based distribution that uses Openbox and Awesome WM to create something that's just a little different.

zenix_openbox.png
http://zenix-os.net/index.html

If you're a Debian fan, check it out.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Zenix is a "fun, fast, different" Linux distro!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:29 AM »
Bloody hell...I swear I'm gonna start a support group for people who are constantly trying out Linux distros and put myself down as a charter member...  :-\

This does, however, look like an interesting riff on a semi-minimalist nix suitable for use on all those single core/512mb laptops that are currently gathering dust. Could make for a nice little grab & go" laptop when you don't want to take your usual 'hipster busybox' with you. They can't all be used as firewalls, home webservers, or DVD players.  ;D

Nice sexy dark look to the desktop too! Bound to be a "babe magnet" at your favorite bookstore cafe or coffeeshop. (Random attractive Macintosh user pauses in mid-sip of her double latte and glances over at gentleman seated at next table. The normally bored expression behind her designer glasses gives way, first to wide open surprise, and then a bemused semi-frown. "Excuse me... I'm sorry to disturb you...but what is that you're using?" she says, her eyes staring intently at his laptop rather than him...*)  ;)
---------------------------
* What? You thought she might actually be interested in him? C'mon. :P
---------------------------

Downloading now... :Thmbsup:

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 06:49 AM »
Am trying it via VirtualBox.

Some nice backgrounds indeed.  Chose what looks to be the following for the moment:

http://frankhong.deviantart.com/art/Garden-of-Zen-156885520

Thanks for posting, zridling :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 07:17 AM »
I read the review, but it just didn't inspire me. It sounded like yet another "minimalistic, fast, blah blah blah" distro. The review wasn't remotely compelling for me. I didn't see anything that really said, "try this".

Post back and let me know if it's worth looking at.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 07:49 AM »
I read the review, but it just didn't inspire me. It sounded like yet another "minimalistic, fast, blah blah blah" distro. The review wasn't remotely compelling for me. I didn't see anything that really said, "try this".

+1

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:50 AM »

sobored.jpg

Not too jaded, are we? ;D  ;)

@Ren - Can I use your line in my script as the response from the female character when the gentleman finally tells her what it is? It sounds sooooo Mac-user! (kidding...just kidding) :P

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:53 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 08:20 AM »
@Ren - Can I use your line in my script as the response from the female character when the gentleman finally tells her what it is? It sounds sooooo Mac-user! (kidding...just kidding) :P

Yes. And feel free to mangle it any which way you want. I hereby license it under the WTFPL. :)

And it probably did sound macish... Yeah... I admit it... I sometimes like shiny things. :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 09:13 AM »
And it probably did sound macish... Yeah... I admit it... I sometimes like shiny things.

No crime in liking shiny blingy things. I happen to love the weird, utterly ludicrous retro looks (and equally unique sounds) of guitars built by Mike Eastwood so who am I to criticize.  8)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:22 AM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 10:49 AM »
And it probably did sound macish... Yeah... I admit it... I sometimes like shiny things.

No crime in liking shiny blingy things. I happen to love the weird, utterly ludicrous retro looks (and equally unique sounds) of guitars built by Mike Eastwood so who am I to criticize.  8)
Those are very douchy looking guitars, I must admit!  According to several people, a guitar like that should be played by someone like this:
ac-crop.jpg

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 11:12 AM »

No crime in liking shiny blingy things. I happen to love the weird, utterly ludicrous retro looks (and equally unique sounds) of guitars built by Mike Eastwood so who am I to criticize.  8)
Those are very douchy looking guitars, I must admit!  According to several people, a guitar like that should be played by someone like this: (see attachment in previous post)

Grrr... Dem's iz fightin' werdz~! Put up yer dukes!~

If an Eastwood is good enough for Bubbles, it's good enough for me~!

http://eastwoodguita...ture/afc-bubbles.htm

TRAILER PARK BOYS~! FTW~! :p

Who else could kidnap Alex Lifesonw and get away with it?

You probably smoke that shitty mall dope~! :P

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 03:47 PM »
I borrowed a friend's abandoned netbook and installed Zenix on it. Can't believe it recognized all the old proprietary hardware but it did. I actually like the plain black desktop but will change it just to be pretty.

@Renegade:
There ya had to go and bring up Bubbles. Oh man, what a great show. His character is the gift that keeps giving.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 03:55 PM »
a guitar like that should be played by someone like this

This is way off topic
You talkin' about that handsome young feller up there? For him, I'd say it should be the Eastwood Ichiban. Perfect for someone who has respect for the past - but doesn't allow himself to be held back by it.

40hz, that unrepentant non-DeadHead "Child of the 70s" is more the Eastwood Airline Tux type.

Love that 'stringy' quasi-eastern sound and the controlled musical feedback. Rock on! :up:

Interestingly, the Ferguson part of the demo gets remarkably close to the sound and style of music I most like to do.  ;D

And for BOTH of us, the Eastwood Mandocaster!

Awesome guitars!  8)

=============================

OK. Back on topic:

Loaded Zenix on an older AMD64 box. It does work remarkably well with what it finds, although now that I've used it a bit, I realize it is a minimalist looking rather than a true minimalist distro since it butchers in at almost 600mb on the CD. No knock that. but it's an important distinction to keep in mind.  Especially if you're short for drive space on whatever you're installing it on.

I wouldn't recommend this as somebody's first foray into Linux however. The interface, while pretty and very well thought out, is NOT your standard Linux desktop by any stretch. Nevertheless, I like it.

This will probably be more of a novelty distribution for me. But what the heck - weirdness and novelty is what it's supposed to be about, right?

For at least part of the time anyway. ;D

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 03:57 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 04:04 PM »
This will probably be more of a novelty distribution for me. But what the heck - weirdness and novelty is what it's supposed to be about, right?

For at least part of the time anyway. ;D
In the words of Rickety Cricket: "Let's get weird, buddy. Let's get weird."
I like the tux, too.