ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Zenix is a "fun, fast, different" Linux distro!

(1/3) > >>

zridling:
Susan Linton over at ostatic.com provides a short take on the Zenix distro:
Back when I used to write full-length distribution reviews for a living, I always kept my eyes open for unique offerings. Unique distros were few and far between, but when those jewels were found - fun followed. Well, one of those gems of the Linux world appeared on my radar this evening. Zenix GNU/Linux is a Debian-based distribution that uses Openbox and Awesome WM to create something that's just a little different.

http://zenix-os.net/index.html

If you're a Debian fan, check it out.

40hz:
Bloody hell...I swear I'm gonna start a support group for people who are constantly trying out Linux distros and put myself down as a charter member...  :-\

This does, however, look like an interesting riff on a semi-minimalist nix suitable for use on all those single core/512mb laptops that are currently gathering dust. Could make for a nice little grab & go" laptop when you don't want to take your usual 'hipster busybox' with you. They can't all be used as firewalls, home webservers, or DVD players.  ;D

Nice sexy dark look to the desktop too! Bound to be a "babe magnet" at your favorite bookstore cafe or coffeeshop. (Random attractive Macintosh user pauses in mid-sip of her double latte and glances over at gentleman seated at next table. The normally bored expression behind her designer glasses gives way, first to wide open surprise, and then a bemused semi-frown. "Excuse me... I'm sorry to disturb you...but what is that you're using?" she says, her eyes staring intently at his laptop rather than him...*)  ;)
---------------------------
* What? You thought she might actually be interested in him? C'mon. :P
---------------------------

Downloading now... :Thmbsup:

ewemoa:
Am trying it via VirtualBox.

Some nice backgrounds indeed.  Chose what looks to be the following for the moment:

http://frankhong.deviantart.com/art/Garden-of-Zen-156885520

Thanks for posting, zridling :)

Renegade:
I read the review, but it just didn't inspire me. It sounded like yet another "minimalistic, fast, blah blah blah" distro. The review wasn't remotely compelling for me. I didn't see anything that really said, "try this".

Post back and let me know if it's worth looking at.

Josh:
I read the review, but it just didn't inspire me. It sounded like yet another "minimalistic, fast, blah blah blah" distro. The review wasn't remotely compelling for me. I didn't see anything that really said, "try this".

Post back and let me know if it's worth looking at.
-Renegade (June 08, 2011, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version