topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for suggestions for domain name registration  (Read 6079 times)

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for suggestions for domain name registration
« on: June 07, 2011, 12:03 AM »
The registrar I have used for as long as I've been buying domains (gkg.net) runs at $10.89 including ICANN fees.

I am looking to buy a couple more .com domains, and I would like to save as much money as possible, while making sure that I am using a reputable registrar that isn't going to hold my domains hostage, screw up my settings, or squat of domains that I search for.

I don't need hosting of any kind to go with the domains.

Who are you using for your domain needs?

Thanks!

C

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for suggestions for domain name registration
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 12:20 AM »
I use godaddy for cheapest registration needs.
There are two things you should be careful about:
1. Take a couple of minutes to search for godaddy coupon codes. That is a quick way to shave the price 1-2 dollars more.
2. Be careful with all the junk godaddy will try to sell to you during registration. They almost try to sell you a washing machine along with the domain registration.

I really don't like that attitude, and nor do I like the neo-con owner of godaddy, but I don't know a cheaper but somewhat reputable alternative.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:39 AM »
I also use GoDaddy. They've always been reliable.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 07:00 AM »
I've been using DomainDirect (which is now Hover) for about 10 years and never had a problem with them. I did have one minor (login issue) hiccup with my main domain right after the Hover transition and had to call their tech support. After a very short wait, I got a guy that both knew what he was doing, and spoke quite clearly. The issue was resolved moments later.

They're not the cheapest (@ $15 a year), but I think well worth it for the clean easy to navigate and use configuration system they have. Registrar chances are usually done very seldom, and it a panic ... so you don't want to be screwed (banners, popups, more confusion) with while it happening...and they don't. I tend to appreciate that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:02 AM by Stoic Joker »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:17 AM »
Avoid godaddy at all costs. Check nodaddy.com for few reasons. Go with any other random domain registrar but godaddy.

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 07:29 AM »
I've been using MonteCarloHosting for many years - they are really friendly and helpful and very reactive when you need help.
Apart from reasonably priced hosting they also register domains : MonteCarloHosting

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:44 AM »
Montecarlo is definitely expensive host compared to hostgator, site5, cirtexhosting etc. I mean seriously, 250 MB space for 5.95$ per month ? :down:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 07:54 AM »
Alternative opinion

He doesn't point out anything about GoDaddy that's bad.

The only problem seems to be that he didn't know how to seamlessly move a domain and keep DNS working, and that the people he moved to took 2 days to respond. Hardly seemed like a GoDaddy problem.

As for GoDaddy's panel, it's excellent. They've improved a lot of things in it as well.

I've used other registrars, and none were as good as GoDaddy. That's usually because of the control panel though. GD has a very good one. Others are pretty poor.

Regarding NoDaddy.com. Meh... Dunno. There will always be a few problems, but it's not like that's the norm.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 08:25 AM »
I use DomainDiscover.com for all my registrations.

Also not the cheapest ($12/yr single domain, discounts available for additional years or multiple domains)  but I have been extremely happy with them. Nice account management panel, good DNS, and competent tech support on those rare occasions when you need it. They also offer private registrations (i.e. ownership masking service) at a nominal additional cost if you want to hide your real contact info from casual perusal.

Good company too.  No games or scams with your domain registrations or searches.

Not much else to say other than I really like dealing with them.  :)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:34 AM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:31 AM »
They also offer private registrations (i.e. ownership masking service) at a nominal additional cost if you want to hide your real contact info from casual perusal.

They charge extra for that?!? (Bad Monkey) Hover don't. I transfered the main company from Network Solutions to Hover last week, and it was enabled by default (as a courtesy) on the newly transfered domain. It wasn't enabled at NetSol, so it has to be a Hover thing. Also it's only $10 yr for a transfered domain. So I got 3 years for $30 when I moved it.

The transfer was completely seamless as I was able to preconfigure all the DNS settings at Hover before the transfer went through. Well  :-\ maybe not completely seamless ... as we did have a minor (4 hour) Email outage. But that was because I'd been in a hurry and ("Christmas Tree'd" the input) created a circular reference in the MX records (...Hay, (sh)IT Happens). However, when I caught and corrected it the push was instantaneous ... Because mail (that people had been waiting on for hours) started flooding in (literally) within seconds after I hit apply. But that was not Hover's fault.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 01:50 PM »
(Bad Monkey) Hover don't. I transfered the main company from Network Solutions to Hover last week, and it was enabled by default (as a courtesy) on the newly transfered domain.

I think a lot of them throw freebies in like that when you transfer.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 05:13 PM »
(Bad Monkey) Hover don't. I transfered the main company from Network Solutions to Hover last week, and it was enabled by default (as a courtesy) on the newly transfered domain.

I think a lot of them throw freebies in like that when you transfer.

Could be, but it's also an actively available configuration option for the other domains that weren't just transfered. *Shrug* If I can remember, I'll try enabling it on one of the other domains tomorrow and see if it starts begging for more coin.