ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Driver backup

(1/2) > >>

m_s:
I am coming around to accepting that I probably am going to have to reinstall Windows  :(, something I have avoided doing for ages, but there seem to be just too many little things broken right now, and I want a clean start.  However, I'm worried about drivers and updates and having to spend hour after hour searching for the most current versions.  Can anyone recommend a program for cataloguing current drivers etc?  I use Belarc Advisor, and that seems very good indeed, but it doesn't allow you to actually backup what it catalogues, so if there is something that can directly backup to CD, that would be excellent.

mouser:
the best thing would be if you can make a drive image of your current drive so you can go back and get files or examine stuff after the fact.

all i can tell you is that you'll feel so much cleaner when you reinstall and youll be so happy when you actually have a new install.

m_s:
I think I am going to have to buy an external harddrive - the cheapest I've found is around £80 for a Lacie 250gb, which seems a pretty good deal. 

I think I read something on Lifehacker about a free disk imaging program, but I can't find it there now - does anyone know what it might have been?

I reinstalled Win Me on a computer a few months back, and the difference was amazing!  So on one hand I am looking forward to the improvements, but I know it'll take the better part of a day...

jdd:
m_s, Windrivers Backup Personal Edition is a nice little program to backup drivers.  The newest release is available as shareware but an older (and perfectly good) freeware version can be downloaded at http://freeware4u.com/search.php.

jdd

m_s:
Thanks, jdd.  Alright, I'm set - have backed up drivers and ordered by external ard drive...  Now I'm just after some free/open source drive imaging software - I've heard of DriveImage, but really don't know the territory here.  I've read the backup guide here, but there's nothing mentioned there - anybody got suggestions?

I tracked down the program I saw mentioned somewhere - thought it was Lifehacker or Downloadsquad, but neither of them has discussed it.  It is DriveImageXML (http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm) - looks okay, but does anyone have experience of using it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version