ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

7 Freeware Windows Explorer Alternatives / File Managers compared

(1/4) > >>

jaden:
An interesting review of some good options (only freeware) that might be of interest.  I was disappointed with the treatment of FreeCommander, a program I enjoy using almost too much.

http://www.freewaregenius.com/2011/06/01/the-best-freeware-file-manager-a-comparative-analysis/

There are several freeware file managers that address this gap in Windows’ file management functionality. We looked at 15 of these and found 7 had many of the advanced features we were looking for. This post will compare the following program across several criteria: FreeCommander, Master Commander, Nexus File, Q-Dir, SE-Explorer, UltraExplorer, and Xplorer2 Lite.
--- End quote ---

The primary criteria used for the comparison were user interface, file operations and additional features.  I will say Nexus File looks fantastic (sexy even), but I downloaded the latest version and spent a 1/2 hour playing around with it and I just don't see it coming close to replacing the firmly entrenched FreeCommander for my day-to-day needs.

Renegade:
Master Commander looked interesting.

As of yet, I've not tried a file manager that doesn't slow down in the same way that Windows Explorer does. That's what I want. Fast. Very fast. I get tired of waiting for Windows Explorer. Though it's a lot better now with an SSD drive.

jaden:
In what way does it slow down?  File operations, the interface in general?  I haven't seen a slow down with FreeCommander.  Of course, with the SSD I don't notice slowness in much of anything these days, but even before the SSD upgrade it's been zippy.

superboyac:
Master Commander looked interesting.

As of yet, I've not tried a file manager that doesn't slow down in the same way that Windows Explorer does. That's what I want. Fast. Very fast. I get tired of waiting for Windows Explorer. Though it's a lot better now with an SSD drive.
-Renegade (June 06, 2011, 03:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
I know it's not free, but XYplorer is the fastest file manager I've tried.  Actually, the real fastest would be total commander, but it's interface is not very "normal".  For the normal ones, xyplorer is the fastest for me.  Still, I'm using Dopus 90% of the time.  it's slower, but geez, is there anything it can't do?

urlwolf:
They forgot my favorite, cubic explorer:
http://www.cubicreality.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version