ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dropbox....without dropbox?

(1/3) > >>

Shades:
Saw something that could tickle the interest from several DC members regarding the creation of their own cloud backup solution.

The software is called FTPbox, is open source and in beta state. As such some features and options (from Dropbox) are likely not there (yet).

Regards.

wreckedcarzz:
I actually just jumped ship from Dropbox to Jungle Disk a week or so ago, because I wanted the security of encrypting files/"disks" with my own encryption key. That, and I'm getting twice the space for just $3 a month.

This looks like it would be nice for a home server kind of setup, or with some disk space with a hosting provider and being able to have it setup just how you like it. I'm looking to drop Syncplicity as well, this could do the trick. Might have to give it a whirl.

jaden:
I've been using Jungle Disk for backups since 2007, but didn't realize they had anything comparable to Dropbox (i.e. offline support).  Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to take a closer look.

wreckedcarzz:
I'm using it in its Network Drive "mode" (whatever it is called), but it has a PC-to-PC sync that would work as a Dropbox substitution if you want offline functionality as well. The options are presented to you during the initial linkup of PC to disk.

ewemoa:
Saw something that could tickle the interest from several DC members regarding the creation of their own cloud backup solution.
-Shades (June 05, 2011, 11:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
The following bit of text under "What's Next?" looked interesting:

Transferring via SFTP.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version