topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: web clipping  (Read 29471 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: web clipping
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 02:18 AM »
Just a heads up that CintaNotes have released their first professional version:

License is needed to unlock the following features:

* Multiple notebook files support
    * Pasting notes into other applications
    * Export to HTML
    * Tag usage counts on Tag Sidebar

P.S. Can't believe web clipping died. I just discovered Canaware today. Didn't realize it was mentioned here by 40hz of all people.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 03:38 PM »
I bought RightNote in the recent/current BdJ sale. As I was using it I was wondering whether it had any edge at all over Ultra Recall, apart from more active development and a more positive vibe amongst users, and then I found that it clipped perfectly well from Opera (even if I did have to use a clipboard shortcut to do it). So, for the moment, I'm hopeful that I will be able to use it, together with Evernote, as my main clipper.  8)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 02:49 PM »
I've found myself slightly uncomfortable with RightNote's Web clipping.  You can make a new clip with a RightNote hotkey, and add to the current clip with another, but the tree pane doesn't scroll to keep the current item in view.  That means you can't see whether everything is OK without constantly scrolling the tree.  I wanted the hotkey to make a new note, and make that the current one, with tree pane scrolled to keep it in view.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 03:10 PM »
I've found myself slightly uncomfortable with RightNote's Web clipping.  You can make a new clip with a RightNote hotkey, and add to the current clip with another, but the tree pane doesn't scroll to keep the current item in view.  That means you can't see whether everything is OK without constantly scrolling the tree.  I wanted the hotkey to make a new note, and make that the current one, with tree pane scrolled to keep it in view.

Have you tried Surfulater? It does keep the latest clip in view. (I tried RightNote a few months ago as an alternative to Surfulater (which I've been using for many years) but I found Surfulater still superior for web clipping - I'm not commenting on RN's other features).

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 11:38 AM »
Have you tried Surfulater?
No.  Thanks for reminding me.  I probably should have tried Surfulater, especially as the author has been active on DC.  But, it's quite expensive, even with a discount, and I can still use EverNote 2.2, the last desktop edition, which I paid for.  It works well but isn't developed or available since they went cloud.  I'm keeping an eye open for still-developed programs that work as conveniently.  I suppose I should try UltraRecall again, too.

[Edit at UK time 2012-11-29, 20:52:-]
Humph.  Just checked the UltraRecall Web site.  There's been a major-version upgrade, which would be $50, but few users are biting, saying there are too few new features to justify the cost.  Most still think it's a good program as-is, though.
[/Edit]
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:54 PM by rjbull, Reason: UR upgrade »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 03:11 PM »
I probably should have tried Surfulater, especially as the author has been active on DC.  But, it's quite expensive, even with a discount, and I can still use EverNote 2.2, the last desktop edition, which I paid for.  It works well but isn't developed or available since they went cloud.  I'm keeping an eye open for still-developed programs that work as conveniently.  I suppose I should try UltraRecall again, too.

[Edit at UK time 2012-11-29, 20:52:-]
Humph.  Just checked the UltraRecall Web site.  There's been a major-version upgrade, which would be $50, but few users are biting, saying there are too few new features to justify the cost.  Most still think it's a good program as-is, though.
[/Edit]
I always thought of Surfulater as quite expensive and not doing anything but clipping - and then not working with Opera. So I never even got around to trying it. Seems to be a good web clipper though.

With Evernote, remember that you can use the current version without going anywhere near the cloud. It's not the same as 2.2, but for me the advantages now make it more useful than 2.2 ever was.

I'd go along with the comments on Ultra Recall. The old & current versions work perfectly well but development and support is not the same as it used to be. (And it doesn't work with Opera  :( ) Might be worth trying if a really large discount comes up on BdJ, but probably not if you only want a web clipper (it does do a lot of other things).

I've found myself slightly uncomfortable with RightNote's Web clipping.  You can make a new clip with a RightNote hotkey, and add to the current clip with another, but the tree pane doesn't scroll to keep the current item in view.  That means you can't see whether everything is OK without constantly scrolling the tree. 

I don't really want to move away from the browser when I clip, so that is fine by me - and anyway the mere fact that it works with Opera will make up for any number of other deficiencies. Even having to use the keyboard.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 03:29 PM »
With Evernote, remember that you can use the current version without going anywhere near the cloud. It's not the same as 2.2, but for me the advantages now make it more useful than 2.2 ever was.
I keep forgetting the current version can be used "out of the cloud," though I'd be wary of installing it in case it overwrites my current and useful 2.2 setup.  What new features do you like so much?

I'd go along with the comments on Ultra Recall. The old & current versions work perfectly well but development and support is not the same as it used to be. (And it doesn't work with Opera  :( ) Might be worth trying if a really large discount comes up on BdJ, but probably not if you only want a web clipper (it does do a lot of other things).
Authors rarely offer discounts on upgrades, unfortunately.  So it was with UR.  In fact, when BdJ last had a UR discount, the cost of a new v.4 installation was on a par with their normal upgrade price.

I've found myself slightly uncomfortable with RightNote's Web clipping.  You can make a new clip with a RightNote hotkey, and add to the current clip with another, but the tree pane doesn't scroll to keep the current item in view.  That means you can't see whether everything is OK without constantly scrolling the tree. 
I don't really want to move away from the browser when I clip, so that is fine by me - and anyway the mere fact that it works with Opera will make up for any number of other deficiencies. Even having to use the keyboard.
Like UR, RightNote will do lots of other things...  My problem wasn't so much clipping an entire new entity, as when I wanted to clip several bits from a page and assemble them into a single note.  I.e., first clip is a new note, several subsequent ones are additions to that same note. Because I couldn't see what note I was adding to, I was nervous about messing things up, and because RN didn't seem to automatically make a new note the current note, I had to go back and forth anyway.

The author of AllMyNotes doesn't seem to like hotkeys.  Instead of adding a clipping hotkey, he suggests using click.to.  I haven't tried it, so don't know if you'd find it more comfortable than a hotkey.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 04:06 PM »
I'm curious:
a couple of people have commented about knowing where the clipped item goes.
Can you clarify what you mean when saying that:
when adding a new clip you can/cannot see what clip you are adding it to?

For comaprision
I'm using InfoQube - when I add a clip from FF (or via paste), a dialogue window opens with the web-clip. If I leave it open, I can add multiple clips to the first.
Which is grand (for me). When I eventually click on OK, the clip gets added to my inbox. I go to my inbox later and can move it around or give it whatever properties I want - which means it will display in different 'grids'/under different tabs.

If I copy a new clip, I am unable to add it to a previous clip (unless I go find it, and paste it in that saved clip - I'll prob have to also go copy/paste the url).
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 04:13 PM »
a couple of people have commented about knowing where the clipped item goes.
Can you clarify what you mean when saying that:
when adding a new clip you can/cannot see what clip you are adding it to?
I think it's only me complaining:

RN is a two-pane organiser.  The images show the foot of the node tree.

RN1.png    RN2.png    RN3.png

Image 1 is as-is.  Next I clipped a portion of a Web page (this one), pressed Ctrl+C, sent it to the clipboard. Then press the hotkey I've defined for Clip to New Note in RN (actually, you don't need to press Ctrl+C, just the RN global hotkey will suffice, like CintaNote). Image 2 shows the tree after the new note is added.  Notice that the cursor is still on the same note as before; you can only see there's a new note underneath because there's slightly more space under the scroll bar.  In Image 3 I've scrolled the scroll bar down to show it, cursor staying in the same place.  It looks like that same note is the current one, not the new note.  I've also had some inconsistency using Clip to Current Note, i.e. add more to current note.  Maybe this is me not being familiar enough with RN, but though its Web clips are good, I'm finding it confusing.

I'm using InfoQube
From what I've heard InfoQube users saying, it's too complicated for me!  Expensive, too, if you have to pay the full price.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 05:18 PM »
^ Gotcha, thanks.

I'm using InfoQube
From what I've heard InfoQube users saying, it's too complicated for me!  Expensive, too, if you have to pay the full price.

yeah, it does need some work to make it more user friendly.
I cant compare it to many apps. Lets see, related: I have used Surfulater and Evernote. It is more complex - but that does also mean (in this case) that there is much more flexibility/capability. You dont have to get into (most of that) complexity unless you need it. TBH, I dont very much - I'm a *fairly* basic user of the majority of software I use, including IQ.

I started using it for other things (work: tracking job/file status) but did get a lot of help with that (great trade off: learn a complex programme when in beta - you get a huge amount of help setting it up). Once I got it set up -with that help- I just use it. So, I guess I should say that aspects that I use could be called advanced ;-)

For web content *for me* it's mostly a case of being a dumping ground and then search. I can though -very easily- sort in (multiple) hierarchies (also multiple times in the same hierarchy), and show in multiple pages/grids/views. Inbuilt tagging is weak but if you learn filtering it's more or less the same. Search suffices too - either way though - you dont (currently) get that overview of tags.

Re "The Price" -I'm not sure what that is - it's still in beta. I have donated, that will go towards my license when it is released.

PS I am/was a big fan of Surfulator - with IQ I just happen to have an app that kind of covers everything, so I use that ;-)
There are pros and cons to using multiple apps for various uses (maybe they're just segregated by theme/topic even) - or using a single app for multiple uses.
Tom
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:28 PM by tomos »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 03:30 PM »
I'm using InfoQube [...]
For web content *for me* it's mostly a case of being a dumping ground and then search.
Me too.  That is, I don't need to compile a selection of web clips into a coherent whole and make a report on them.

Re "The Price" -I'm not sure what that is - it's still in beta. I have donated, that will go towards my license when it is released.
I didn't realise it was still in beta.  I seem to recall that beta testers were offered a fairly good deal, but would still like a good idea of what it's going to eventually cost.  However, I think my days of major data munging are over, it's just personal interest now.

There are pros and cons to using multiple apps for various uses (maybe they're just segregated by theme/topic even) - or using a single app for multiple uses.
On that matter, you might be interested in Dormouse's post, here: Re: General brainstorming for Note-taking software

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2012, 10:29 PM »
I didn't realise it was still in beta.  I seem to recall that beta testers were offered a fairly good deal, but would still like a good idea of what it's going to eventually cost.  However, I think my days of major data munging are over, it's just personal interest now.

I can send you a free personal license if you want.  :Thmbsup:

Pierre
IQ Designer
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 03:31 PM »
That's very gracious and generous, please do!  I can't promise to make any genuinely useful comments, though.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 05:53 PM »
That's very gracious and generous, please do!  I can't promise to make any genuinely useful comments, though.

Simply PM me with your name and email (used in generating the license key) and I'll have IQ send you an email with the licensing info it generated  8)
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 10:50 PM »
I'm using InfoQube - when I add a clip from FF (or via paste), a dialogue window opens with the web-clip. If I leave it open, I can add multiple clips to the first.
Which is grand (for me). When I eventually click on OK, the clip gets added to my inbox. I go to my inbox later and can move it around or give it whatever properties I want - which means it will display in different 'grids'/under different tabs.

If I copy a new clip, I am unable to add it to a previous clip (unless I go find it, and paste it in that saved clip - I'll prob have to also go copy/paste the url).

FYI, the latest version (v0.9.26PreRel6) can join items and merge their HTML content into a single item. This should help in the situation you just described.

HTH !

Pierre

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 05:16 AM »
^ thanks Pierre :Thmbsup:
Tom