topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: web clipping  (Read 29478 times)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
web clipping
« on: June 05, 2011, 07:10 AM »
I'm just wondering what people are using for web clipping at the moment.
I've noticed that a number of my previous addons/extensions have stopped working with the latest versions of various browsers (eg ie & FF have broken a few).
Ultra Recall still works on FF5 but not ie9, Chrome or Opera; of course, it does work in its own browser too;
Evernote works in everything except FF5 (I assume they will update fairly soon as they seem the most active in updating);
OneNote works in ie & Chrome, but not FF5 or Opera.

I use Evernote for bits and pieces. Really useful, especially with the web access & mobile apps, but not for heavy duty work.
So at the moment, that leaves me having to use the browser that suits the prog I want to clip to (& can't rely on that always working in the future).
And neither Ultra Recall nor OneNote work in Opera, which is my favourite browser; I am used to that, of course, so I have got used to the inconvenience.
Sometimes I just use Clipmate or Snagit & organise later.

But it all leaves me wondering whether there is a better way.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: web clipping
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:00 AM »
I have been testing this FF add-on.

https://addons.mozil...on/send-to-my-cloud/

Works with 4.1, don't know about other versions of FF.

Still being developed-works with some browsers, it says.
http://www.send-to-m...firefoxplugingallery

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 08:20 AM »
Evernote using the Firefox add-on. I used to use Read it Later until I got annoyed with it crying about a page not being an article. I am trying to remember to tag Evernote clips as "unread" when I am using for the same purpose as Read it Later. You might want to look at Shareaholic too, which can clip to a customizable variety of web based services.

There's a Firefox 5 in beta already? I may have to check it out, although I hate when addons are broken.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 10:37 AM »
Evernote works in everything except FF5

Which version are you using?  Does it have the "Universal Clipper," and if so, does that work with FF5?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 03:20 PM »
I don't use the newest Firefox because last time I checked, my mainstay app Canaware NetNotes does NOT work with FF4.x.  >:(

If it ends up not being supported on FF4, I'd rather switch browsers than give it up.  :'(

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 03:35 PM »
I don't use the newest Firefox because last time I checked, my mainstay app Canaware NetNotes does NOT work with FF4.x.  >:(

having a look:
it claims to (now) work with FF4
http://www.canaware....px?g=posts&t=534
Tom
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:36 PM by tomos »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 04:24 PM »
Which version are you using?  Does it have the "Univqersal Clipper," and if so, does that work with FF5?
V4.  No universal clipper for this one as far as I can see. I could use an old version, but I don't often use FF anyway. Pretty sure they will have a clipper working with it soon. Could also stick to v4 of FF but not really any point since I don't use it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 04:48 PM »
I don't use the newest Firefox because last time I checked, my mainstay app Canaware NetNotes does NOT work with FF4.x.  >:(

having a look:
it claims to (now) work with FF4
http://www.canaware....px?g=posts&t=534

@tomos- thx! I'll have to try it out on the portable version of FF4 tonight. If it works it may be just enough to get me to go over to the new version once it has a little more time to get the kinks worked out.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 06:11 PM »
I used to use Read it Later until I got annoyed with it crying about a page not being an article.

Eh?  What do you mean?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 06:55 PM »
I used to use Read it Later until I got annoyed with it crying about a page not being an article.

Eh?  What do you mean?

Yeah! +1. Never had anything like that happen w/RIL. Whassup with that? Was it something like a  PDF that got opened in a browser window?  :huh:

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Like this for example
IMG_0041.PNG

For this particular URL, I seem to get the "not an article" whimper only on my iPod Touch, not on my PC. Just noticed that.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:17 PM by daddydave »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 07:30 AM »
^ What's the URL?  Is it just roku.com, or some other child URL?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 09:01 AM »
Sound like its another Apple browser user agent issue although I haven't run into that on my iPhone yet (knock wood).

Guess it's to be expected when you're using a device and software made by a company that thinks the entire universe begins and ends at it's own property line.  ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 11:25 AM »
I duplicated the problem- I think it's because of the format of Roku's home page.  Roku's homepage is pretty much graphical- that's probably what it means by it's not an article.  The article parser parses the text, and roku.com has a minimal amout of that.

You can report the pages here, but I think that pages like that one would fall outside of the parser on mobile devices, which is why it recommends looking at them in the web page view.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 12:45 PM »
Which oddly I can't find on the PC version of Read It Later even though they both use the same account.

For comparison, I selected the same and right clicked and added to Evernote from my PC and pulled it up on the iPod Touch.
IMG_0042.PNGweb clipping

Much more readable than Read it Later Full Web Page View on the same device (two fingered spread-to-zoom gestures notwithstanding).
IMG_0045.PNGweb clipping

And of course RIL doesn't let you select the actual area you want clipped, which is seemingly related to its pickiness about articleness. :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:47 PM by daddydave »

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 03:12 AM »
I use CintaNotes for fast clips of short bits of text because it is so fast and convenient. For larger articles and stuff that includes images and formatting I use Surfulater.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 07:47 AM »
I use CintaNotes for fast clips of short bits of text because it is so fast and convenient. For larger articles and stuff that includes images and formatting I use Surfulater.
I use Surfulater for everything, even the small things I used to put in CintaNotes and several similar programs.  The main reason I didn't respond to suggest Surfulater is that the O.P. seemed to be looking for something that would work well with Opera.  Surfulater used to be able to do so, thanks to some instructions in Surfulater's old forum.  However, as far as I can tell, those instructions no longer work with Opera 11.11 (the current version).  According to some messages in the Opera forum, the problem began with Opera 11.01.  It's a pity, because Surfulater is a terrific (though admittedly rather pricey) program.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 10:28 PM »
The main reason I didn't respond to suggest Surfulater is that the O.P. seemed to be looking for something that would work well with Opera.  Surfulater used to be able to do so, thanks to some instructions in Surfulater's old forum.  However, as far as I can tell, those instructions no longer work with Opera 11.11 (the current version).  According to some messages in the Opera forum, the problem began with Opera 11.01.  It's a pity, because Surfulater is a terrific (though admittedly rather pricey) program.
I remember being interested in Surfulater before I bought UR (I seem to remember reports of UR capturing web pages more accurately) and have kept half an eye on it since. Never enough to buy it even on BdJ days. And I do already have quite a lot of ways of doing this, so there has to be a compelling reason to acquire another. Always open to compelling reasons though. Working with Opera might be one; although I cope OK with using other browsers when I'm acquiring info, it would be much more convenient to always do it in the one I am using.

AHMalik

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 09:30 AM »

But it all leaves me wondering whether there is a better way.

Try:
<https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=26966>
15+ useful Chrome Extensions you might not have heard of <https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=26966.msg251347>

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 11:21 AM »
I have the same kind of problem and situation - I also use Opera and i have 3 different inconsistent things I use none of which is perfect. My main constraint is that it needs to work off a key or the web, because a key function is to be able to capture something that comes up while at work or on the road, and capture it

what i use:

- diigo. bookmarking with highlighting and snippets + can keep a cache of pages (not 100% reliable alas). Just not enough that can be done with it afterwards if you are aggregrating for writing or organising (lists, groups and slideshows, good for sharing but not for writing, imo). Has great extensions in other browsers and a more limited diigolet in Opera. Perhaps it will port its extensions to Opera

- opera notes. very simple but because it is sync'd and accessible at my.opera.com it is extremely useful for all sorts of tidbits of information and often to write/prepare for writing. The capture from opera *and* the fact that they can be used as quick paste tools mean I use them all the time... I really should see whether something can be done to access/manage opera notes on the desktop from one of the outliner tools perhaps, that could be very interesting

- local website archive - a bit clunky to capture from opera and alas can only do full page, so I use it less than I once did due the the clutter it generates. I used to use it all the time as my main tool but it kind of stayed behind in time.

So I am looking at tools too :)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 12:46 PM »
On a related note, any other Surfulater users having trouble with the Chrome plugin? It seems to randomly disappear and I have to reinstall it :huh:.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 01:50 PM »
Agree with the comments about Local Website Archive.  I love that it saves pages in html, but it does not seem to be updated much. 

- The search is somewhat powerful but never quite what I'm looking for.
- No "virtual folders" or tags (asked the author about this and he's not planning these) makes organization really tough
- No multi-page capture means if an article does not support single page view you get a bunch of entries for the same article (once again, asked about this but not going to be supported)

I've toyed with using priprinter and a pdf creation tool to make pdfs that I could store in other ways using other tools, but havent done that yet.

Understand the OP is looking for snippets and this is more about whole pages... but I havent found much for either.  I dont like that programs tend to store all this stuff in their own format. 

Why cant we have something like IDImager or what benubird was talking abou t (havent seen any updates recently): a database on top of the original files so we can add metadata and organize, but view the content regardless. 

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 03:31 PM »
Agree with the comments about Local Website Archive.  I love that it saves pages in html, but it does not seem to be updated much. 
I use it when I want to make an accurate verbatim copy of a page, but not much for anything else.  I mostly use EverNote 2.2 for general stuff.  I tried UR for a while, but it seemed just too complicated.

- No multi-page capture means if an article does not support single page view you get a bunch of entries for the same article (once again, asked about this but not going to be supported)
I once used IDM = Internet Download Manager to download most of a Web site, which worked quite well, but I wouldn't rate it a routine operation.

There have been a few mentions of Canaware NetNotes on DC, but I haven't tried it.  FreewareGenius review is Canaware NetNotes: capture web pages then store and edit them within a local knowledge base.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 08:05 PM »
@Dormouse: What about Scrapbook add-on for Firefox?     :Thmbsup:
It always seems to work without problem for me.
It would be nice if it were available for Chromium/Chrome too.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 09:35 PM »
I use IQ (InfoQube) -- surprise! -- for all clipping (web or whatever).  :P
I've got thousands of clips in there, all tagged etc.
The universal clipper works everywhere. But the "HiFi" clipper (full pages, "verbatim") only works with FF 4 (and earlier, of course) and IE 8.