ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Zentimo upgrade offer $9,- until 2011-05-29

<< < (2/2)

Ath:
Hm, 've been thinking a bit about this, and I won't go for the upgrade.

<a bit of a rant>
I just like the way USBSR works, disconnecting my USB drives easily and safely, and I don't need nor want the extra features of Zentimo. It kept nagging me about a speedtest for every USB drive I sticked in my system, but what is it good for? I bought it, so if the speed wasn't good enough (compared to what? my other USB drives?), I'm stuck with it already :huh:
And getting at the 'unload drive' option takes clicking on rather a tiny button, and the extra's I never need are hidden behind even more tiny buttons.
</a bit of a rant>

But last years give-away, non-upgradeable, version does work fine over here ;D

phitsc:
But last years give-away, non-upgradeable, version does work fine over here ;D
-Ath (May 28, 2011, 05:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

It does indeed. When I checked what has changed since then, it didn't seem to offer anything worth spending even the 9$. Although I have to admit, the SW would probably be worth 9$ to me, if I did not have it already (but then it wouldn't be an upgrade). The problem with this kind of SW is that it's not something you usually use very often, but when you need to use it, it is quite handy.

superboyac:
Yeah, it's pretty hard to justify spending money for Zentimo if you have a lifetime USB SR license already.  I totally understand that.  The only reason I did it is because I like the developers.  That's pretty much it.  And the discount was pretty big.  I've been paying attention to their marketing pushes, and I just had a little bit of sympathy for them.  I don't know if they are struggling financially or anything, but having started a small business recently, i really have a soft spot for small companies who do good things for people.  I'm scared that our current economy and modern mindsets are going to really squash small business opportunities, and I would gladly give a lot of my money to my friends trying to make it on their own before I start spending on medium to large businesses.

I don't know what else to do.  i have to give so much money to the big guys...and I regret it every time I do.  I wish from the bottom of my heart that I could give the same amount of money to individuals that I feel are just trying to use their gifts and talents on a small scale to help people and to just get by.  But I can't.  All I can do is give a few dollars here and there.  but the bulk of it gets sucked up by our stupid ass economy.

Dormouse:
I have both. In many ways I prefer the USBsafelyremove. I bought Zentimo just to support them really. I suspect the real problem is getting significant numbers of people to pay for a function they think they already have in the OS and that will always limit how much anyone is prepared to pay. Both work and I always have one installed on a machine.

oblivion:
I suspect the real problem is getting significant numbers of people to pay for a function they think they already have in the OS and that will always limit how much anyone is prepared to pay.-Dormouse (May 31, 2011, 07:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
Isn't that the problem with almost everything? You want word processing, why not use Wordpad? Disk management -- Windows already has most of that stuff, built in. And so on.

Thing with USBSR and Zentimo both is that they DO have functionality that's not already there -- it's just you don't really know how much you wanted it until you got it! -- and I prefer Zentimo over USBSR both because I like the extra chrome AND because I use TrueCrypt. (The speed test functionality doesn't do anything for me but hey, you don't have to switch it on. Although I used it to test the speed of a shiny new thumbdrive that's supposed to be superquick and, yes, it is, even though the real world never quite meets the stats, so I suppose it's not completely useless.)

I know the extras really don't amount to an awful lot -- the Truecrypt stuff can be done in USBSR after all -- but, like other commenters here, I like to support decent, functional software. I'd miss it if it went away, anyway!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version