topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Does not correctly capture dialog window from SpyShelter Check for Update option  (Read 11238 times)

Defenestration

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am running the latest SSC 2.93.01 on Win7x64SP1 (Aero enabled), with default settings apart from changing "Auto-remove area outside border with alpha less than (default 200):" to 0 (BTW, I think this should be default setting, as I couldn't understand why it wasn't capturing the shadow at first). See screenshot below for what gets captured:

SpyShelter_Check_for_Update_dialog.png

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The windows object capture captures the same, and shows the red border around the attached image, rather than the entire dialog (plus extra for the shadow).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Couple of questions:
Is it just that window that captures oddly?  Does notepad capture with the same problem?
When you capture that dialog, is it in front of any other window? If so, can you move it to so its over desktop background and capture it and see if the result it the same?

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It captures the main SpyShelter window fine, but has the same trouble with all the child dialogs. However, while the title bar and border of the Check for update dialog is the default Win 7 blue, the  title bar and border colour of the Black/White lists->Component Details dialog is a whiteish colour, rather than blue. There is a free trial of SpyShelter, so you should be able to test it out and reproduce the problem.

Notepad captures fine, including the shadow. However, the Replace dialog captures without the shadow, and the colour of the title bar and border is more white rather than blue (the default Win 7 theme). The bit it does capture is the entire window though, rather than just inside the border, as was the case with the SpyShelter Check for update dialog.

No change when the window/dialog is moved over the desktop background.

Couple of other things:

- The small Zoom doesn't display the right-most pixel, so you can't see the black border on the right of a window. The top, left and bottom all show the black border in the Zoom. It looks like an off-by-one error.

- I was trying to change the text for one of the controls on a window grab, and was hoping to just create a text box, type in the text and place it over the old text, but I could get the fonts tomatch up at all, and the sizes seemed different (eg. default UI font is Segoe UI 9 and MS Serif 8 or 9 in older Windows, but the same size in ScreenshotCaptor seemed much smaller and font didn't match exactly).

- Related to above, I also tried selecting some existing text, and was then hoping to hold the Ctrl key down while dragging to make a copy of selected area, which I could then place over the other text. Is this possible, as I couldn't seem to find how to do it ? If not, can you add this capability.

At the moment, I have to use other utilities for some screengrabs, but would like to just use SSC.

Let me know if you want me to test any possible fixes.

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Two other things (been using SSC a bit recently, and these are the things I noticed/wanted)...

- SSC updates the thumbnail view when files are created/deleted/renamed in the capture folder, but it doesn't update the thumbnail view if a file is overwritten (eg. save an image to the capture folder and use the name of an existing file to overwrite it).

- Feature to count number of unique colours - can be handy when deciding which format to save in.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sorry for delayed response, I wonder if we should split this into a few sections.

Let's deal with SpyShelter issue first -- I'm guessing the problem is related to a child window on top of the main window.  If you move the child window off the main window so that its background is the desktop, can you tell me if that fixes the problem?  OOPS i see you wrote: "No change when the window/dialog is moved over the desktop background.", hmm now that is strange.. i will test myself..

Also, if you disable the Window Capturing 1 option to try to capture Aero Glass, what kind of result do you get then?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:00 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
- Related to above, I also tried selecting some existing text, and was then hoping to hold the Ctrl key down while dragging to make a copy of selected area, which I could then place over the other text. Is this possible, as I couldn't seem to find how to do it ? If not, can you add this capability.

In general i would advise using a standalone image editor for stuff like this (which you can configure to launch from an SC button and which SC will pick up after changes automatically) , but it is in fact possible from SC directly.  You would select the region, hit Ctrl+C to copy it, then Ctrl+V to paste it as a new object you can resposition and adjust transparency.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
- Feature to count number of unique colours - can be handy when deciding which format to save in.
that would be perfect scenario for an external tool interfaced to SC;  SC has a way to create and share tool files that show up in the Tools menu; Im guessing this is the kind of tool that either already exists or someone would be willing to code in the Coding Snacks area.  Then perhaps you could create and share a SC tool file for it to make it easier for all to use from SC.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
- SSC updates the thumbnail view when files are created/deleted/renamed in the capture folder, but it doesn't update the thumbnail view if a file is overwritten (eg. save an image to the capture folder and use the name of an existing file to overwrite it).

SC is designed to auto pickup when a file changes.. but perhaps something about the way you are saving it is making it miss the change.  I actually just changed something that might improve this -- can you try with the latest version of Screenshot Captor and let me know if you still see this behavior?

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sorry for delayed response, I wonder if we should split this into a few sections.
Feel free to snip/move away.

Let's deal with SpyShelter issue first -- I'm guessing the problem is related to a child window on top of the main window.  If you move the child window off the main window so that its background is the desktop, can you tell me if that fixes the problem?
No, it's exactly the same.

Also, if you disable the Window Capturing 1 option to try to capture Aero Glass, what kind of result do you get then?

Screenshot - 08_06_2011 , 01_03_22.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
let me try to reproduce and report.

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

SC is designed to auto pickup when a file changes.. but perhaps something about the way you are saving it is making it miss the change.  I actually just changed something that might improve this -- can you try with the latest version of Screenshot Captor and let me know if you still see this behavior?
I restored my computer today and just tried with the previous version, and it's now picking up the change. Must've been some issue with my system.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok i can confirm and reproduce the problem.
Now i'll try to solve it.

I can see the proximal cause is that the background black/white box it's trying to draw behind the child window is not being drawn outside the window borders.

What I don't know is if this is something easy to fix -- an oversight on my part -- or whether it's a more fundamental problem with the bitblitting operation im using to paint the area behind the window.  I shall report.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok i found the culprit, but the solution is imperfect.

I have added a new option that tells SC whether you want to restrict to a small margin when capturing non-top (child) windows.
This was the default in previous versions, but is disabled in the new version.

The caveat is this -- if you uncheck this box you will have to ensure that the child dialog is not in front of the parent window -- but is instead outside of it.
Otherwise it will fail to isolate it from the background of the parent window and it will look even worse than before.

Try re-downloading from normal download url and let me know if it works for you.

Perhaps later I can automatically move the window away during capture and move it back afterwards.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:43 PM by mouser »

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I'll let you know if it works.

FYI, WindowClippings 3 has no problems capturing this window and shadow, even when in front of the main parent window, so it must be possible. It does this without moving the window away.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
interesting, ill have to check that out -- perhaps it has to do with some inferior way i am painting the background.

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The latest version now correctly captures the shadow, but does not clear the background. Is it possible to automatically clear the background (ie. the bit around the window), as WindowClippings manages this ?

Also, a slightly odd issue is that on Win 7 with default Aero Glass theme, the window border of a captured window in the SSC preview is a lighter shade of blue compared to when I view the same image in Window Picture Viewer or any other image viewer. Is there an option causing this to happen, or is it a problem ?