ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

smartphones and (lack of) security

<< < (2/3) > >>

Renegade:
Cool. I noticed that they're working on a (coming soon) basic version ... Any chance it'll be free?
-Stoic Joker (June 03, 2011, 11:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm... I'm wondering what I can and cannot say... So let me speak in generic terms instead and leave it for you to divine the meaning. (Sorry, but I believe that I'm still under NDA for some things -- not sure, so I'll err on the side of caution. It's easier than checking.)

They're using 2 different AV engines. i.e. They license them. Those companies can create conditions for the use of the engines, so you can imagine different clauses that could include non-competition for certain market segments, pricing, royalties, up front fees, and market segmentation. ESTsoft has to abide by their licensing agreement, so if there are royalties or market sector stipulations, that could prevent them from offering a free version.

I don't think that clears things up, but it at least puts forth a set of typical possibilities that you find in software licensing at that level.

Just to be clear -- those things that I mentioned above are typical restrictions that you find in software licenses. Nothing in there is specific to ESTsoft or the AV engine companies. I just put them out there as examples of things that could restrict ESTsoft's ability to make ALYac free.

4wd:
Yep. Using ALYac on my Android.

http://global.alyac.com/

:)
-Renegade (June 03, 2011, 08:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bah!  WVGA+ only :(

Ath:
Bah!  WVGA+ only :(
-4wd (June 04, 2011, 11:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, that's to be expected, a virusscanner that requires a high-resolution display, right... what a foolish design error :mad:

Curt:
[Android] Best free anti-virus | Best Free Android Apps | dotTech

phitsc:
I don't like this at all. I don't want my phone to require anti-virus software! >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version