topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Are EULA's as negative as DRM  (Read 3979 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are EULA's as negative as DRM
« on: June 03, 2011, 11:20 AM »
Good Old Games is a game site where DRM-free versions of games of old are sold.  There's quite a bit of negotiating that goes on behind the scenes, but they are good at what they do, and have scored games from Interplay, Ubisoft, Monolith, and many more.  Until now, their biggest score has been Activision.  But now they have hit the motherlode with Electronic Arts.

There's no System Shock or Syndicate, which makes me sad.  But even just the six game that they've revealed make me quite happy with the deal- I bought Privateer and Dungeon Keeper today (and the other already on sale is Ultima Underworld 1+2, which I *will* get).  The graphics may not measure up to today, but those old games from Origin and Bullfrog are heavier on gameplay than most games coming from the major studios today.

But there's been a bit of a discussion because of the EULA, which I personally think people are making a big deal about nothing.  I think it was a cut-and-paste job, as I know from personal experience, once a EULA gets drafted, unless something major happens, it's used for everything since they are so hard and so expensive to get into place.  And you can definitely see that as it says something about online features, but these old games are *way* before that became ubiquitous in games.  But some are saying that the EULA is as bad as DRM.

I really can't see the correlation, but want to see if anyone here had any opinions on the subject.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Are EULA's as negative as DRM
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:28 AM »
...But some are saying that the EULA is as bad as DRM.

I missed that. Where should I look?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 12:03 PM »
The link I posted has the community discussion beneath the PR blurb.

But the direct link to the discussion is http://www.gog.com/e...of_classic_ea_titles.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 01:14 PM »
And for reference, here's a link to the EULA (PDF!) http://items.gog.com/EULA.pdf

As wraith said, it seems to be the same EULA used for everything all EA titles on GoG.com.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:24 PM by Deozaan »