ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are EULA's as negative as DRM

(1/1)

wraith808:
Good Old Games is a game site where DRM-free versions of games of old are sold.  There's quite a bit of negotiating that goes on behind the scenes, but they are good at what they do, and have scored games from Interplay, Ubisoft, Monolith, and many more.  Until now, their biggest score has been Activision.  But now they have hit the motherlode with Electronic Arts.

There's no System Shock or Syndicate, which makes me sad.  But even just the six game that they've revealed make me quite happy with the deal- I bought Privateer and Dungeon Keeper today (and the other already on sale is Ultima Underworld 1+2, which I *will* get).  The graphics may not measure up to today, but those old games from Origin and Bullfrog are heavier on gameplay than most games coming from the major studios today.

But there's been a bit of a discussion because of the EULA, which I personally think people are making a big deal about nothing.  I think it was a cut-and-paste job, as I know from personal experience, once a EULA gets drafted, unless something major happens, it's used for everything since they are so hard and so expensive to get into place.  And you can definitely see that as it says something about online features, but these old games are *way* before that became ubiquitous in games.  But some are saying that the EULA is as bad as DRM.

I really can't see the correlation, but want to see if anyone here had any opinions on the subject.

Renegade:
...But some are saying that the EULA is as bad as DRM.
-wraith808 (June 03, 2011, 11:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

I missed that. Where should I look?

wraith808:
The link I posted has the community discussion beneath the PR blurb.

But the direct link to the discussion is http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/gog_com_s_catalog_gets_huge_with_addition_of_classic_ea_titles.

Deozaan:
And for reference, here's a link to the EULA (PDF!) http://items.gog.com/EULA.pdf

As wraith said, it seems to be the same EULA used for everything all EA titles on GoG.com.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version