topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Wanted: Electronic/Searchable Holy Books  (Read 42473 times)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wanted: Electronic/Searchable Holy Books
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2008, 07:20 PM »
Just out of interest, and via TinyApps blog:

Christ On Disk is a freeware application for viewing the King James Version of the Bible. It is a stand-alone application that is able to fit onto and run from a single floppy disk that has been specially formatted.

Christ On Disk has a new Website.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2008, 04:18 PM »
I'm neither an atheist, an agnostic, nor a believer. I view myself as a theological non-Euclidean. But I suppose that's only to be expected of someone who read Zen Flesh Zen Bones when he was twelve; and then began eight years of Jesuit education immediately afterwards.

You might want to take a look at this:

180px-Boomerbible.jpg

(Wikipedia) The Boomer Bible is a book written by R. F. Laird. In structure, the book is based on the Christian Bible, but it is neither a simple parody of the Bible, nor is it sacrilegious specifically toward the Bible or Christianity. Laird described the book as expressing the things we really believe rather than the things we say we believe.

http://en.wikipedia....rg/wiki/Boomer_bible

A very interesting read. Not really a joke at all.

The Boomer Bible's website can be found here: http://www.boomerbible.com/boomhome.htm
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:23 PM by 40hz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2011, 07:17 AM »
Logos Bible Software 4 has been named the winner of the SIIA’s prestigious CODiE Award for Best Educational Reference Solution.

http://blog.logos.co...ware-industry-award/

Due to the large undertaking in rebuilding Logos from the ground up —instead of simply reusing 15–20-year old code for an update— we hoped Logos users would find Logos 4 to exceed their expectations. It did. Logos users quickly navigated past the initial learning curve Logos 4 posed, and discovered a new way of doing Bible study. And the CODiE Award judges got to see exactly what makes Logos 4 so special.

Judges put Logos 4 through a stringent review process consisting of evaluating product-specific material and online support articles and training videos. Finally, a live online product demonstration was coordinated so judges could see a first-hand demonstration before evaluating and scoring Logos 4. Part of the evaluation focused on the program’s customization features, ease of use, navigation, richness and focus of search results, and use of graphics, among other components.

Based on the above components, Logos Bible Software 4 seemed to be exactly what the Best Educational Reference Solution category was intended for. Among others in the same category, Logos 4 beat out NBC News Archives on Demand from NBC Learn.

Some 425 products and services were nominated this year. Then third-party judges reviewed and evaluated each item before determining finalists. SIIA members then reviewed the finalists and voted to select the winners.

Winning the 2011 CODiE Award now puts Logos Bible Software in the company of past CODiE Award winners such as Adobe, Dell, Cision, Red Hat, SalesForce, Wall Street Journal Professional, and Zendesk.

http://www.logos.com/

Watch http://www.logos.com/basepackages#demo

Edited:
-or from YouTube:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:41 AM by Curt »

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Seeing this thread was reopened, here are 2 more resources.

theWord - Alternative to e-Sword

The NET BIBLE (new interface)
This is the older interface

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2011, 02:26 AM »
Once again, I believe OP (Tinjaw) was looking for more than just Bible study aids:
https://www.donation...89.msg95630#msg95630

e.g. Is there a Quran module for e-Sword?
A searchable web interface for the Bhagavad-Gita with bookmarks and commentary?
Can the Tibetan Book of the Dead be converted to OSIS format for loading into Sword project software?

And so on...

Regardless of (or because of?...) my own personal predilections, I would also be interested in electronic resources for studying other cultural/religious works, and since this thread has woken up again, I think I'll do a little more searching of my own.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2011, 08:07 AM »
@tinjaw: As a fellow student, I can recommend as the best digital and searchable source that I have come across:
Bahai Research
They have access to just about every religious tome and their various versions, and you can peruse them online or using a downloadable software called "Interfaith Explorer".
Texts are from:
  • Authoritative Baha'i
  • Baha'i Studies
  • Buddhist
  • Christian
  • Hindu
  • Islam
  • Judaism
  • Sikh
  • Tao
  • Zoroastrian

The downloadable Interfaith Explorer comes in various versions - for use on Androids, or PCs using Windows, etc.
The Windows one is here: Windows Interfaith Explorer (Download.com)

By the way, the best hardcopy English translation of the Qu'ran/Koran that I have come across is a Penguin (1959) Koran translation by NJ Dawood. It is very well organised and contains a brief historical context. The chapters/verses/subjects are organised- differently to (better than) most other Korans that I have seen.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:57 AM by IainB »