ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of an alternative to InfoSelect ...

<< < (8/15) > >>

IainB:
Suggest you check out Compendium.
It was in my list in an earlier post, but I haven't used it for a couple of years. In the link provided above, it says this:
Personal Use
Many people use Compendium to manage their personal digital information resources, since you can drag+drop in any document, website, email, image, etc, organise them visually, and then connect ideas, arguments and decisions to these. Compendium thus becomes the 'glue' that allows you to pool and make sense of disparate material that would otherwise remain fragmented in different software applications. You can assign your own keyword 'tags' to these elements (icons), create your own palettes of icons that have special meanings, overlay maps on top of background images, and place/edit a given icon in many different places at once: things don't always fit neatly into just one box in real life.

If you're technical, you can exploit our XML scheme, the Derby or MySQL relational database, and public Java classes to connect Compendium to other databases and computational services. (If that sentence meant anything to you, then check out our developer website!)
--- End quote ---

There are informative links to follow if you go to the website.
Wikipedia have a good entry on Compendium.

barney:
He-he ... pulled down Compendium ... from first reads, I'll need a doctorate - at least a masters  ;) - just to get started.  Actually, it looks pretty decent, but it'll take a lot of reading to get it working, methinks  :P

cranioscopical:
pulled down Compendium
-barney (June 21, 2011, 01:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

So did I (thanks IainB) looks interesting and it was fast and easy to set up superficial collections.

I thought that I couldn't function without InfoSelect, which I'd used ever since it grew out of Tornado Notes. That was until some circumstance that I no longer recall in detail (moving offices I think) divorced me from it. I lost track of my data and also the software itself. On coming across it a couple of years later I found that getting updated to a current version seemed to be quite a hassle and rather costly. I also found that it was starting to look and feel a bit dated — this was around 7, I think. Perhaps my needs are simple, but I haven't missed it as much as I had expected. In a perverse way I'm not sorry to have left the train at an earlier station now that I see remarks about the current offering.

barney:
Yeah, you might have been lucky ... I had to lose significant data in order to jump that particular ship.  I stayed with it because I'd not been able to find anything that could perform searches as rapidly ... but this last version broke most of my search configs, as well as adding that damned ribbon and providing a toolbar that could not hold configurations ... ended up with less screen real estate, less functionality, and an ersatz menu [substitution] system that was non-intuitive (at least to me) at best.  So now it seems I'll be using URP for some stuff, WikeNotes for some stuff, Personal Brain for some stuff, maybe Compendium for some stuff ... wonder how many other pieces I'll need to adopt to compensate  :P.  Hell, I'd even go back to the Tornado TSR  :P.

cranioscopical:
ended up with less screen real estate, less functionality, and an ersatz menu [substitution] system that was non-intuitive
-barney (June 22, 2011, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ouch!  :o

Fortunately, a lot of the info I'd had was of only passing value. Project notes, costings, that sort of stuff. Basically, once a project was completed those notes weren't worth the heck of a lot as the material wound up in printed reports. Anyway, that's where a good secretary p.a. shines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version