ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of an alternative to InfoSelect ...

<< < (7/15) > >>

stewcam:
I am a longtime IS user. At present I rely on IS 2007, which I run from USB (works well). However, with the advent of IS 10 I have been looking elsewhere, and recently came across another contender:

Smereka TreeProjects

Really quite impressive!

barney:
TreeProjects looks good.  Even has the tagging capability I'd hoped IS would adopt.  Dunno from a cursory read whether it'll do graphics or not - WikeNotes has indeed spoiled me in that respect - but I'll check out the trial copy, see what it does.  At half the price, if it even comes close to IS' [former] functionality, it'll be a bargain  :).

IainB:
@barney:
Currently getting more comfortable with WikeNotes.  It seems to be the most workable of everything I've tried so far, although they've not answered their help form.
--- End quote ---
Dunno from a cursory read whether it'll do graphics or not - WikeNotes has indeed spoiled me in that respect -
--- End quote ---

Well, as a result of reading your posts, I tried out WikeNotes.

Conclusions:

* It doesn't do graphics, as far as I can see, though it looks as though it tries to in html format.
* It's very kludgy.
* It offers some novel ways to lose your data for good.
* I would therefore recommend that you avoid using it.

barney:
Funny, I've not had a problem with WikeNotes anent dropping web stuff onto it and holding them.  However, if you tried the latest version - 0.4 - you do have to pick the right create icon - one of 'em is text only.

I have had a few sites render as though I'd hit the view source button on the browser, but I suspect - since I've seen the same with other products - it's likely do to malformed Web pages rather some fault with WikeNotes.

Yeah, can't argue with the kludgy aspect.  Suspect, if the devs keep on it, that will improve with time,though.

I've yet, except as noted in the previous view source comment, to lose any data with it.  I'm not particularly happy with the password aspect - it seems poorly, or perhaps clumsily?, implemented - but I've lost no data for the last several weeks, actually since this thread started, which is more than I can say for URP.

All in all, it seems the best candidate to replace IS functionality in this arena, albeit not a total replacement.

BTW, looked at the TreeProjects app.  It's nice, and has tagging capability - a strong plus for me - but didn't see any graphic copy/storage capability worth mention.

IainB:
@barney: Ah, I see! I was using WikeNotes v0.2 not v0.4.
I had been confuzzled by their website (which is also kludgy). It took me three tries to download v0.4 from their WindowsLive website - without corruption errors.
When I started up v0.4, I immediately saw what you meant. Much better.
I take back my comments above. Still kludgy, and you need to take care.
Well worth following WikeNotes' development, but, since it's apparently still under development, I'd not recommend that you entrust your valuable data to it without lots of backup.

By the way, I noticed that it takes copy/paste of text and/or images from MS OneNote just fine - which some applications seem to have great difficulty with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version