ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of an alternative to InfoSelect ...

<< < (4/15) > >>

barney:
As mentioned earlier, I got URP, but the tech writing for it leaves a lot to be desired ... and it took something like forty-eight (48) hours plus to get a response that didn't really address the question I asked.  That does not bode well for future issues, although I might be a bit on the impatient side  :P in that respect.

The biggest problem I have is getting the URL of stuff I've imported from the Web ... need it for source and, occasionally, attribution when it's from someone else's site.  If I have to manually copy and transfer it, that increases my time per item by about 5%-10% ... when you're grabbing 300-500 segments per session, that becomes significant time  :'(.  There are some other issues - graphics come to mind - but that's the biggie, the show stopper, as it were.

Dormouse:
The biggest problem I have is getting the URL of stuff I've imported from the Web -barney (June 06, 2011, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Easy to do. I think you must have captured them. Are you sure you are actually seeing what you have got? I always go to the data hierarchy one up from the level I'm looking at (or higher) & look at the URL column in the child list (you do have to have marked that column as one you wish to see).

barney:
Hm-m-m ... if [I think] I understand what you are saying, a URL in the data tree won't work.  I need a title there, the URL in the note- ? - that is produced. 

To make that a bit more clear, a list of URLs is intrinsically worthless, since there's no indication what that URL references until you click on it.  Sorry if I misunderstand, but I've had that result.  Oh, yeah, it's also difficult, if not impossible, to edit the note attached to that URL.

I may be talking about something different than what you mention, but my experience to date has been ... abysmal, shall we say?

But that may go back to my - lack of? - appreciation for the documentation, I suspect.  I do tech writing in my copious spare time  ;D, and what I've seen to date falls far short of standards.  Help files should be written for those who have not used the software, as well as for those familiar with it.  Too many unclear terms  :o.

xtabber:
The URL is a document attribute in UR. You can view the attributes for any document by selecting Tools/Attributes from the menu. You can also copy the URL into the document itself if you want to see it there.

While I have been using UR of late for collecting stuff from the web, I must say that it is NOT intuitive or easy to work with.  I much preferred Evernote 2.x for that purpose, but it is now history and Evernote 3+ costs $45/year to be really useful. Also, for some purposes, I want a local database.

barney:
Yeah, they told me I could see the URL in the Attributes window ... but it ain't not never there.  I see system attributes - which do not, on my system, include URL.  I recall a reference to another attribute window, but 'tain't there, nor can I discover how to evince it.  Maybe a bad install on my system, or maybe something else, system-wise, interfering, but I misdoubt.  In the Tools | Attributes window, URL is selected.  It just does not display.  I'm not averse to being wrong, mind you, but so far, no one has been able to tell/show me how I am  :tellme:.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version