ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of an alternative to InfoSelect ...

<< < (2/15) > >>

CWuestefeld:
Another mention for Zoot. There's a full 32-bit version that handles rich text and images in beta, release expected soon (the current version is text only).

The differentiator for Zoot is its smarts, specifically its ability to automatically place products into their correct folders based on rules that you can define.

You mention that you couldn't quite wrap your head around it, and that's a common complaint (and I've certainly felt it). Unfortunately the upcoming new version doesn't do anything to improve that.

But there are some other compelling improvements in the new version. Most notable to me is its ability to collect notes from a remote source. Basically, you set up a Gmail account for it, and send new stuff to that account. Zoot, back at your desktop, monitors that account, and automatically loads new material from it. It's also got some good integration with Dropbox.

So Zoot does have its allures  ;)

superboyac:
Zoot is still going?  Sheesh.  That's one of the slowest developed programs I've ever come across.

IainB:
@barney: Sorry about making an unwarranted assumption.
I would always recommend you keep your prior version IS and database as a full backout/recovery set for a year before deleting it if all goes well with the newer version.
Yes, paranoid, I know.

barney:
Punch line to an old joke:  king talking to vizier about assassination prevention says, "Yes I know I'm being paranoid.  My worry is whether I'm paranoid enough." :P

Yep, I do much the same, albeit within a somewhat shorter time frame.  The rub, always, though, is that material which has been created with the newer version that is usually not backward-compatible  :(.  Or, in this case, loss of such material due to a failed upgrade  >:(.  That's always been one of my biggest complaints of IS - the devs don't seem to even have a concept of a change log, so there's no real way of knowing whether ya really need the most current upgrade  :huh:.  I've stayed with it because of its [comparatively] blazingly fast search, in spite of that.

Ah, well ... I've pretty well settled on UltraRecall Pro (UR)  :-\, although I'm having a bit of trouble getting URL automation working.  Also using WikeNotes.  Don't have enough data stored to compare search speeds, but looks as though I'll have to live with what I get.  Do wish WikeNotes had a - supertag? - classification system  :o, e.g., software, how-to, website, but other than that and automatic capture of heading(s) & URLs, it seems to work well so far.

Oh, yeah, that ability to import IS data into UR?  You have to first export it as text in IS, then import it into UR, a process that I suspect will take much time, considering the gigabytes of .wd2 and .wd3 files I have  :(.

Ain't software wumderful  :P?!?

Jimdoria:
Have to add a +1 for OneNote. I'm not on the latest (2010) but also haven't heard any tales of things breaking horribly.

OneNote serves all my needs for "freeform information container and filer" very well.
Just about all the requirements from your original post are covered, although the outlining is probably weak compared to what you're used to with InfoSelect.

Try not to hold the fact that it's a Microsoft product against it.  :P OneNote is one of the true software gems to come out of Redmond. And it benefits from the resources a big biz like MS has available to put into usability. It won't take you weeks to "wrap your head around it." You can be productive right away, even though it may take a long time to discover every productivity trick it has up it's sleeve.

Unfortunatley, at about $100 it's not cheap. Unless you compare it to Info Select.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version