ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of an alternative to InfoSelect ...

<< < (6/15) > >>

Dormouse:
Even though they are selected in the View | Choose Columns (?) menu window.  That is, both Web site and URL are selected, but neither shows in the item attributes window. -barney (June 07, 2011, 06:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have either of those boxes clicked there  :(
What I do have it those attributes ticked in the menu - Tools>Attributes  :)
And I bring up the Attributes panel by the menu - View>Other Windows>Item Attributes (or just CTRL 4)  :) :)
CTRL 5 brings up the item notes (or otherwise just go through the same View menu)

And for some reason, the UR folk apparently don't believe that, even with screen shots  :huh:.  I don't doubt that the product is good, but it simply does not perform as advertised on my system.  My next step, when time allows, is to deinstall, reinstall, see if something went awry in the original install.  That seems more and more likely, as new [non] events occur  :o.
-barney (June 07, 2011, 06:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I do sort of understand where they are coming from. This sort of thing just works in UR - as long as you know or can work out how to do it. It is, to my mind, rather like Directory Opus: lots and lots of possibilities and controls - but so many places to do it and so many things you need to understand. I don't think I ever read the manual; I did find some really informative key posts in the forum written by the developers. Just a question of finding the ones you need. My guess it is not your install that is a problem, just your settings somewhere.

barney:
I'm inclined to agree.  However, I've made so many changes/adjustments, I suspect starting from scratch might be advantageous.  And there is the possibility that, since my system is kinda  sorta  overloaded, something else is interfering that I wot not of  :-\.  For instance, after dropping an indeterminate number of clips, every drop becomes one (1) particular clip.  Only thing I've found to cure that is to kill, then restart, URP.  But it shouldn't be happening, and it's likely something else running is interfering.  However, I can't afford the time to hunt that particular needle - it's a big haystack  :P.

Dormouse:
For instance, after dropping an indeterminate number of clips, every drop becomes one (1) particular clip.  Only thing I've found to cure that is to kill, then restart, URP.  But it shouldn't be happening, and it's likely something else running is interfering.  However, I can't afford the time to hunt that particular needle - it's a big haystack  :P.
-barney (June 07, 2011, 07:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Completely agree.
And UR is very complex. My own approach was like my normal approach to many even slightly complex programs - a few minutes here and there seeing what it does, reading the forum regularly etc over a long period of time before I decided I got it and it would do some aspect of what I wanted and started actually using it. Pretty much the complete opposite of your situation.

IainB:
I've just been reviewing these:
AgendaAtOnce: The latest version - AgendaAtOnce
     Looks like it's been quite improved.
     Could be well worth considering as a possible alternative to InfoSelect.

Tomboy: Uses a WikiWiki-like linking system - Tomboy
     Looks pretty useful. May require you to change your way of thinking though.

Hope these help or are of use.

barney:
Used Tomboy as a cataloging tool under linux, but [that iteration] wasn't really suitable to current requirements.  The current Windows version seems to have gone a bit too minimalist, although it might be a useful note[only]-taking app.

I'll take a look at AgendaAtOnce.  Currently getting more comfortable with WikeNotes.  It seems to be the most workable of everything I've tried so far, although they've not answered their help form.  I'd had high hopes for UltraRecall Pro, but I don't have the time to translate its help file into non-developer-level English  :P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version