ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Buy & Sell Source Code

(1/6) > >>

Renegade:
This is very cool:

http://www.binpress.com/

Free & premium source-code that cuts your development time and costs.

Mature, tested, manually approved code from professional developers.
Your time is valuable, don't waste it writing code that already exists.
--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
While superficially it may sound cool for commercial coding, I fear it may also signal the end of an era for the free access hobby coders (e.g. Not all of us are in it for the money - per se).

Most of the code I write is (one off stuff) done for the companies internal systems. It's not for resale, or even (due to being rigidly focused and therefore inflexible) marketable. The rest is stuff I play with, because it's fun.

So if the trend catches on (and they tend to $$$), that you can get top dollar for a program fragment ... Instead of having to waste time developing the whole thing. The comraderal support offered by the free source code sample sites may quickly dry up.

mouser:
I've written about this so much I must sound like a broken record, but I think I have the opposite impression than Stoic Joker.

I think the Open Source movement/culture has done an amazing amount of good for this world, an astronimical amount of good.  But I suspect that it has done one terrible and lasting harm, which is to instill in everyone the idea that all software code should be free of charge, and no one should pay (voluntarily or not) for any software.  Paying for *STUFF* is still the accepted practice, as long as that stuff is physical or service based -- but the resistance to paying for code has become incredibly high, and i don't think that bodes well for programmers.

[I note that there is nothing irreversibly incompatible with the open source movement and the idea of paying coders for their work -- though having large numbers of collaborators does make that more difficult; that's why i always emphasize the cultural aspect of open source software, and the incredible resistance people have to contributing financially to a project if they aren't forced to].

Renegade:
+1 for mouser.

I think having simple, cheap, working code to solve a problem for me is great. I don't think that they're going to kill the Code Project any time soon though. People post at the Code Project because having code there is feather in your cap. Having code for sale elsewhere? Not.

The lure of peer envy and adulation will always attract talent at some point.  :-*

Stoic Joker:
I've written about this so much I must sound like a broken record, but I think I have the opposite impression than Stoic Joker.-mouser (May 30, 2011, 08:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not so much really, you're speaking to the why/how we got there ... and I'm speaking of the what's next.

As Renegade mentions peer envy/camaraderie (however you slice it) drives Certain behavior. However. That dynamic assumes/requires that people be into a technology/field because they actually like it (/enjoy what they do) ... And people of that ilk are a dying breed. They are quickly being replaced with the monetize any & everything crowd as the InterWeb slowly (glacially) slides into the hellish despair that is cable TV.

So yes I can easily see the likes of Code Project disappearing, as the trend toward the product being less important than the profits being made off it continues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version