ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Buy & Sell Source Code

<< < (3/6) > >>

Stoic Joker:
@Stoic Joker

I hope you're wrong.-Renegade (May 30, 2011, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
Me too man ... but never the less. That (rather dark) cloud... is (rather obviously) on the horizon.

Though, I'm still partial to paid software... Feel free to call me on that one. Yes. I have a vested interest. -Renegade (May 30, 2011, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Understood, and I wouldn't dream of calling you on it. But you're are talking about a finished product there. Not a piece of something, that could be something, if... (Ya know)

Hell I wish I could come up with something that people would buy. But I'm just not quite that clever. So I suffice with creating things that make me happy ... And occasionally share them in the hopes that they may help someone get something done, or at least make their day suck less.

It only has the potential to be 'monetized' (oh how I hate that term)-40hz (May 30, 2011, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 as it was coined by the crowd that is doing their dead level best to suck the innovative spirit out of everything. Create something out of curiosity, or for the betterment of mankind? pffft hog wash - The Ferengi will not tolerate that kind of nonsense!

40hz:
^I've bummed some code over the years. But I'm not a programmer by any stretch. I do however write music - which is similar in many ways to coding.

So when people ask why I continue to write music nobody seems to have the time to listen to; or to continually put money and effort into something with small hope of ever earning back the investment, I keep thinking of this one song...

It's as different as night and day from the type of music I generally listen to or play. But its words ring true, and that's enough for me.

Maybe Kris Kristofferson's song Beat the Devil has something to say to all the coders out there too.

Because even if we can't hope to beat all the 'devils' we'll encounter, that still doesn't mean our only other choice is to join them. Maybe, sometimes we can take one of them for a free beer - and even steal their song for a change.  ;D

:Thmbsup:

anandcoral:
Dear All,

Allow me to put some points on the subject.

First, did anyone noticed that we are all programmers arguing on sale of program codes? In most cases we are not going to purchase any code from there. Take for instance myself. Instead of purchasing 'Cursor Hider', I made 'Park Cursor Aside' which functions similarly. But most users are not programmer and they will happily pay if a program fulfills his/her need.

Second, look at Apple IPad. Initial reviews in all forums, blogs etc. were full of negatives. Starting from very difficult to type holding the IPad with one hand, to neck pain due to too much bending when IPad is put on ones lap. Again all the
comments were from the programmers who were trying to do, what they do best, and failing. The user do not and did not cared what us programmers said and lapped up the IPad in such a a way that now it has become a cult.

Now come to binpress.com. Do you think I will purchase a 5$ code for converting number to word? No. But the user will. Who is user here, the developer who just got a 100$ project and sees that investing 10$ is going to save him another month or so. The company manager, who after been told that the required logic will take 3/4 months time to built, will buy the code and give it to his/her programmer to use it.

All the above I am telling from my work experience as a professional developer for last 15 years. I am not alone, as other developers here may have similar work experience.

To think that 'open source' will get affected due to 'selling of code' is wrong. Programmers who put there code for all are not inclined to sell it, as they already have earned from it, but now want some fame from it. So this will continue to happen. Selling a compiled code or source code does not makes any difference to a user. A non-programmer will happily use the compiled code whereas a programmer will like the source to make further changes, if required.

Users criticized but waited for Apple to release iOS with 'copy-cut-paste' option and paid for it.

Hope I was able to put forth the correct perspective.

Regards,

Anand

Disclaimer: I do not have any apple product and I earn my livelihood from developing Windows and DOS Apps. Though now I am getting pressure to make IPad Apps as many of my loyal clients have one.

Renegade:
@anandcoral - I'm not sure whether you're saying that people will buy or won't buy. I know I would if there were something that I needed and it could save me time and money.

mahesh2k:
Same here. Time is money and i can't code every idea in my mind out there. Also there is issue of not re-inventing stuff. So i don't think there is any harm in purchasing code. Think of this concept as PLR content which is popular in written and video stuff. They're making some decent money with their content, why should programmers stay behind. Just make sure you release code in cheap price instead of letting it open to avoid issue of open vs paid.  Cheers to binpress.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version