ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Killing off Google Translate API & More

(1/2) > >>

Renegade:
Ouch...

http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2011/05/spring-cleaning-for-some-of-our-apis.html

As the web evolves and priorities change, we sometimes deprecate APIs – that is, remove them from active development – to free up resources and concentrate on moving forward. Today we're announcing a spring cleaning for some of our APIs.

Note that the vast majority of Google APIs are not affected by this announcement.

Following the standard deprecation period – often, as long as three years – some of the deprecated APIs will be shut down. The rest have no scheduled date for shutdown, but won’t get any new features. The policy for each deprecated API is specified in its documentation.
These APIs are now deprecated but have no scheduled shutdown date: Code Search API, Diacritize API, Feedburner APIs, Finance API, Power Meter API, Sidewiki API, Wave API
These APIs will be shut down as per their deprecation policies: Blog Search API, Books Data API and Books JavaScript API (not the new API), Image Search API, News Search API, Patent Search API, Safe Browsing API (v1 only), Translate API, Transliterate API, Video Search API, Virtual Keyboard API
--- End quote ---

https://code.google.com/apis/language/translate/overview.html

The Google Translate API has been officially deprecated as of May 26, 2011. Due to the substantial economic burden caused by extensive abuse, the number of requests you may make per day will be limited and the API will be shut off completely on December 1, 2011.
--- End quote ---

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/5/27/google-close-translation-api-service/

We asked Google exactly what constituted 'extensive abuse,' but were told by a spokesperson that the company has 'no more detail to share' on the matter.
--- End quote ---

Well... Can anyone tell me the names of people betting their businesses on Google's "free services" so that I can either laugh, say "I told you so", or actually exercise some restraint and just shut up? :P

Deozaan:
We asked Google exactly what constituted 'extensive abuse,' but were told by a spokesperson that the company has 'no more detail to share' on the matter.
--- End quote ---

How about mouser's Google Translator Boomerang?

Mouser can smile with pride that he helped take down Google. :P

Renegade:
Mouser can smile with pride that he helped take down Google. :P
-Deozaan (May 30, 2011, 12:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah! So we see the dark underside of mouser, secretly planning the downfall of... Google? Technology? All civilization? :P

app103:
Micah's Translatorize (this is freaking awesome!)
My Fried Babelfish

phitsc:
So did these API's come with usage restrictions? Which were not technically enforced by Google?

Sounds weird to me (especially from a company like Google).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version