topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Help me to understand .mp3 naming issue on a DVD player reading from a USB stick  (Read 18597 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
i suspect that the logic of these devices is that they look for a counter within the first 8 characters of a name - as the counter beyond the 8 character limit doesn't list correctly. it just seems odd that they do this whilst also being able to display long file names.
Long file names are handled pretty specially on FAT partitions... an 8.3 short filename is generated for each file (with the last few chars changed to make the names unique), and a number of additional FAT filename entries marked with special attributes are created for the long/unicode name. It's all very hairy and messy.
- carpe noctem

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the input but can you tell me how not sorting the FAT index results in the odd sequencing referred to in my post immediately before this one?
-cranioscopical (June 14, 2010, 12:37 PM)

I've the same issue on my MP3 player. Sometimes, not always, new files are not played in order. This tool helped.

Just try it, or at least just use it to read the contents of your USB stick. If it's not sorted, you found the problem.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just try it, or at least just use it to read the contents of your USB stick
Yes, I intend to, thanks for the reply  :up:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
probably of little interest now but i thought it may as well be mentioned...

the media (video) player that i'm using doesn't delete the correct files. regardless of which file you try to delete within a list, the last entry in the list is deleted.

i've not tried testing it out using different file name lengths - just thought it another unusual aspect of this weird file controlling (nothing that important).

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
the media (video) player that i'm using doesn't delete the correct files. regardless of which file you try to delete within a list, the last entry in the list is deleted.
Thanks or the follow up!

Huh?!

I've not tried deleting stuff using the player.
The remote doesn't have a specific delete function. The on-player controls are minimal, and the on-screen menus don't help me a lot as the machine is hooked to an audio system with no screen attached  ;D
I assemble stuff on my computer, rename it in the order that I want, and dump the lot to a stick - typically 80 hours or so of speech-only audio.
Once that stick has been 'used', I wipe the whole programme using my computer and construct another.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just noticed this as a Hot Find on Gizmo's site:

http://www.techsuppo...ck-or-mp3-player.htm

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just noticed this as a Hot Find on Gizmo's site:

What a gentleman you are!

I appreciate that, it'll save me some fidding around if it works as advertised.

Thanks again!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You're welcome.  From the page it seems like it uses file move rather than copy. It should be fast as long as there's some free space to work with.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah, I've been getting around it by using some file ops but haven't bothered to script that. This'll save me the trouble  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah, I've been getting around it by using some file ops but haven't bothered to script that. This'll save me the trouble  :)
-cranioscopical (May 29, 2011, 08:11 PM)

Lemme' know how it works, ease of use, free space needed etc..
I don't utilize key drives much.  But that could change. :)