ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Backup Strategy: "The Threes"

<< < (3/6) > >>

Deozaan:
So if I understand you correctly, as long as you have a proper backup strategy (and if what you do isn't so critical it can't wait a few days to replace failed hardware) then there is pretty much no reason for the average/home user to implement a RAID setup.

wreckedcarzz:
...Unless you want the speed of a RAID-0 setup. And I would see RAID-1 as logical because when one drive fails, you go out and buy a new drive and then just re-duplicate the data and move on (no restoration process, fastest system possible). Makes drive failure as convenient as possible.

mouser:
The main reason RAID is so attractive as a backup solution is that it is 100% automatic after it's set up.

So while it's only going to save you from a hard drive hardware failure, it does that job better than any other solution, instantaneously and with absolutely zero user intervention or maintenance.  No other software backup solution is even close to it in terms of comprehensiveness, minimal resource use, and minimal effort.

So it does have it's place, especially with hard drives so cheap.

ppass:
SyncBackSE is an excellent backup software, worth paying for. It has a nice incremental backup mode and supports versioning (keep x versions of modified files).

wreckedcarzz:
I can't vouch for the paid version, but SyncBack is a great backup application. I used to use it on my dad's computer and it saved him deleted files many many times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version