ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Tutorial: Visual C# For Beginners - Part 3 (With Pretty Pictures!!!)

(1/1)

KynloStephen66515:
Welcome To Part 3:

I'm sure that if you have completed Parts 1 & 2 then you are keen to continue with your project, so lets get cracking with that File Menu!

For this, you are going to need to add the following items:

* openFileDialog

* saveFileDialog

* printDialog
* printDocument

To add these to your project, click and drag them onto the bottom menu bar

Now you have added them all you will have something that looks like this:

Brilliant!

Now...Remembering what you learned in Part 2 you need to go ahead and click the "File" button and then double click the "Open" button

Add:

--- Code: C# ---string OFile = "";             openFileDialog1.InitialDirectory = "C:";            openFileDialog1.Title = "Open a Text File";            openFileDialog1.FileName = "";            openFileDialog1.Filter = "Text Files|*.txt|Word Documents|*.doc";            if (openFileDialog1.ShowDialog() != DialogResult.Cancel)            {                OFile = openFileDialog1.FileName;                richTextBox1.LoadFile(OFile, RichTextBoxStreamType.PlainText);            }Which should give you:

--- Code: C# ---private void openToolStripMenuItem_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)        {            string OFile = "";             openFileDialog1.InitialDirectory = "C:";            openFileDialog1.Title = "Open a Text File";            openFileDialog1.FileName = "";            openFileDialog1.Filter = "Text Files|*.txt|Word Documents|*.doc";            if (openFileDialog1.ShowDialog() != DialogResult.Cancel)            {                OFile = openFileDialog1.FileName;                richTextBox1.LoadFile(OFile, RichTextBoxStreamType.PlainText);            }        }
Now you want to go back and double click "Save"

Add:

--- Code: C# ---string SFile = "";             openFileDialog1.InitialDirectory = "C:";            openFileDialog1.Title = "Save Your Notes!";            openFileDialog1.FileName = "";            openFileDialog1.Filter = "Text Files|*.txt|Word Documents|*.doc";            if (openFileDialog1.ShowDialog() != DialogResult.Cancel)            {                SFile = saveFileDialog1.FileName;                richTextBox1.SaveFile(SFile, RichTextBoxStreamType.PlainText);            }
Which gives you:

--- Code: C# ---private void saveToolStripMenuItem_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)        {            string SFile = "";             openFileDialog1.InitialDirectory = "C:";            openFileDialog1.Title = "Save Your Notes!";            openFileDialog1.FileName = "";            openFileDialog1.Filter = "Text Files|*.txt|Word Documents|*.doc";            if (openFileDialog1.ShowDialog() != DialogResult.Cancel)            {                SFile = saveFileDialog1.FileName;                richTextBox1.SaveFile(SFile, RichTextBoxStreamType.PlainText);            }        }
Now for the "Print" option:

Add:

--- Code: C# ---printDialog1.Document = printDocument1;            if (printDialog1.ShowDialog() == DialogResult.OK)            {                printDocument1.Print();            }
Which gives you:

--- Code: C# ---private void printToolStripMenuItem_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)        {            printDialog1.Document = printDocument1;            if (printDialog1.ShowDialog() == DialogResult.OK)            {                printDocument1.Print();            }        }

Now we are going to extend our "Exit" button.  Go to the designer, click "File", double click "Exit" and delete 'Application.Exit();'

Add the following code in its place:

--- Code: C# ---if (MessageBox.Show("Are you sure you want to quit?", "Exit", MessageBoxButtons.OKCancel) == DialogResult.OK)            {                Application.Exit();            }
Which gives you the following:

--- Code: C# ---private void exitToolStripMenuItem_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)        {            if (MessageBox.Show("Are you sure you want to quit?", "Exit", MessageBoxButtons.OKCancel) == DialogResult.OK)            {                Application.Exit();            }        }
Awesome!!!!!

Save your project and go play with it!  You can even run a print from it if you own a printer!!!

Thats all for this tutorial.

In the next we will add code for "Save As" and "Print Preview".

We will also make a start with our Tools Menu!  Even adding things like Fonts and Colours!!!

Fuppiz:
Hello,

i was looking around to find some tutorials about c# and i saw your post. i read some of your tutorials. i understood mainly what what some stuff but i think you sould make  explication. like what eatch part of the code mean and what is mainly hapening in the program. well its a good job you are doing here you gave me some ideas so tnx :)

KynloStephen66515:
Hello,

i was looking around to find some tutorials about c# and i saw your post. i read some of your tutorials. i understood mainly what what some stuff but i think you sould make  explication. like what eatch part of the code mean and what is mainly hapening in the program. well its a good job you are doing here you gave me some ideas so tnx :)
-Fuppiz (June 05, 2012, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you need any specific peices of code explaining, feel free to ask...

To be perfectly honest...I completely forgot about these lol, I have moved on to Delphi programming lately but am more than willing to continue helping people with this :)

Thanks for the good feedback :)

-Stephen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version