ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

General Poll: What should there be more of on DonationCoder?

<< < (7/9) > >>

phitsc:
I really think we should look into making the site more mobile friendly. I'm afraid I mean the forums in particular. I see myself use my mobile phone more and more at home instead of the PC. I guess a tablet will replace that once I get one.

IainB:
@phitsc:
"I really think we should look into making the site more mobile friendly. I'm afraid I mean the forums in particular. I see myself use my mobile phone more and more at home instead of the PC. I guess a tablet will replace that once I get one."
--- End quote ---

You might think that, but is it a valid and general requirement for DC Forum users?

For example, some people might ask the Q "How many DC Forum users:

* prefer to and do use the DC Forum as it is, on a PC screen, to read or post to the discussions that interest them?
* prefer to and do use only mobiles to read and post to the discussions that interest them?
* prefer to and do use a feed aggregator (e.g., Google Reader) to read all DC Forum posts, and only go into the DC Forum via PC to explore interesting threads or to post comments?"
There could be other, similar questions.
If we had some statistical data in answer to those questions, then we would have a clearer view of user requirements in this regard, and we could be in a position to establish with some degree of certainty whether changing things to be "more mobile friendly" would be a productive exercise and an effective use of scarce resources, for the short term and/or the longer term.

JavaJones:
I believe there are forum apps that support SMF for various platforms out there. Some require a plugin on the forum's side, some don't. If there's some interest in installing such a plugin I'm sure it could be discussed. I don't know if there would be any negatives from installing it though. It's worth investigating what SMF supporting forum apps are available for your mobile platform though at least.

- Oshyan

phitsc:
@phitsc:
"I really think we should look into making the site more mobile friendly. I'm afraid I mean the forums in particular. I see myself use my mobile phone more and more at home instead of the PC. I guess a tablet will replace that once I get one."
--- End quote ---

You might think that, but is it a valid and general requirement for DC Forum users?

For example, some people might ask the Q "How many DC Forum users:

* prefer to and do use the DC Forum as it is, on a PC screen, to read or post to the discussions that interest them?
* prefer to and do use only mobiles to read and post to the discussions that interest them?
* prefer to and do use a feed aggregator (e.g., Google Reader) to read all DC Forum posts, and only go into the DC Forum via PC to explore interesting threads or to post comments?"
There could be other, similar questions.
If we had some statistical data in answer to those questions, then we would have a clearer view of user requirements in this regard, and we could be in a position to establish with some degree of certainty whether changing things to be "more mobile friendly" would be a productive exercise and an effective use of scarce resources, for the short term and/or the longer term.
-IainB (June 10, 2011, 08:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I agree. I'm no trend setter though. If I'm doing it, chances are high a lot of people have already been doing it for months ;)

mahesh2k:
Mobile interface is not hard if there is mod available for SMF that redirects opera mini or mobile browser users to that interface. Such mod doesn't affect PC experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version