ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Thoughts on HTML5?

(1/2) > >>

Renegade:
Well, it looks like HTML5 support in browsers is still pretty piss-poor.

http://www.findmebyip.com/litmus/

Opera and Chrome seem to shine, but...

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0

Yay... 14% there. (Or whatever -- close enough.)

Is it worth bothering with right now?

Would you do a site in HTML5?

Have you used any good cross-browser scripts to help maintain compatibility?

KynloStephen66515:
Personally, I dont really see the point in HTML5 yet...Its kinda like Flash...everybody wanted it, but nobody loved it enough to add full support in the browsers for it at the beginning of its life.

40hz:
I think the biggest holdup for faster adoption is that all the big players like Google and Apple and Micrsoft are holding off on better support until they can figure out ways to twist this open standard to their own ends. Apple hopes to use it to kill Flash. Microsoft wants to make it just another extension of their web development product line. Mozilla is hoping to they'll finally figure out a way to make some real money from all this. And Google...well... who knows what Google is up to? Their 'official' story changes almost every other day.

I personally think HTML5 will be the battleground. And HTML6 will be what eventually emerges as the "new" new web coding standard. I'm thinking that will be sometime around 2017.  8)

Renegade:
I think the biggest holdup for faster adoption is that all the big players like Google and Apple and Micrsoft are holding off on better support until they can figure out ways to twist this open standard to their own ends. Apple hopes to use it to kill Flash. Microsoft wants to make it just another extension of their web development product line. Mozilla is hoping to they'll finally figure out a way to make some real money from all this. And Google...well... who knows what Google is up to? Their 'official' story changes almost every other day.

I personally think HTML5 will be the battleground. And HTML6 will be what eventually emerges as the "new" new web coding standard. I'm thinking that will be sometime around 2017.  8)
-40hz (May 27, 2011, 09:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you're bang on there.

But, I'm not sure if HTML6 will be that soon. It will take a few years for HTML5 to reach "adoption" level at this rate.

Looking at some HTML5 specs, I'm not impressed. JavaScript? Jeez... Can we get a compiled language that will run decently? Sigh... Ruby, Python, C#, whatever. Just something better than crappy scripting.

Stoic Joker:
Did anybody else notice that Safari has much better HTML5 support on Windows than it does on (its native) Mac? I'm not really sure what to read into that. Other than perhaps that Mac is just gum-balling code together for the Windows version so they can work out how and what not to do on their own doorstep.

Save on support headaches by screwing up on somebody else's dime, yeah, that's inovative... Not!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version