topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Skype Outage  (Read 5002 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Skype Outage
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:54 AM »
Man... When Skype goes down, it's a real pain.

My quick take on it:

http://cynic.me/2011...soft-is-responsible/

The MS bashing is going to be deafening. But I just can't see MS screwing up an 8.5 billion dollar deal that quickly. It should take much longer than that~! :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Skype Outage
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:39 AM »
You don’t fire people over that. You shoot them. And their families. And pets. And friends. And some random strangers just for good measure.
-The Article

Over-Kill i.e. ^^^  :D

Thanks, I'll be laughing about that for the rest of the afternoon.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 03:35 PM »
Skype has gone out before, so this is not even eyebrow raising.

I mean, as far as I know, ink on the deal isn't even dry yet, why the hell blame Microsoft so quickly? :huh:
Even the latest flap about Skype severing ties with Asterisk is about a deal that was planned months ago.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:40 PM by Edvard »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:33 PM »
Skype has gone out before, so this is not even eyebrow raising.

I mean, as far as I know, ink on the deal isn't even dry yet, why the hell blame Microsoft so quickly? :huh:
Even the latest flap about Skype severing ties with Asterisk is about a deal that was planned months ago.

Skype’s Response:

Jennifer Caukin, a spokeswoman for Skype, has a different slant. Caukin said, “Skype made the decision to retire Skype for Asterisk several months ago, as we have prioritized our focus around implementing the IETF SIP [Session Initiation Protocol]  standard in our Skype Connect solution. SIP enjoys the broadest support of any of the available signaling alternatives by business communications equipment vendors, including Digium.  By supporting SIP in favor of alternatives, we maximize our resources and continue to reinforce our commitment to delivering Skype on key platforms where we can meet the broadest customer demand.”

Nope. Can't accept that. Must... Blame... Microsoft...

Meh... I'm no fan of Steve Ballmer, but I don't know if he's at the helm behind that decision. But it's irrelevant. The MS haters will continue to blame MS for killing off Asterisk, famine in North Korea, the slave trade, increasing obesity, and twisted children that torture puppies...

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 12:22 AM »
I'm actually excited about this part:
we have prioritized our focus around implementing the IETF SIP [Session Initiation Protocol]  standard in our Skype Connect solution.

That means that Skype will then be able to communicate over SIP, which MAY also mean SIP clients would be able to connect to the Skype network (fingers crossed), which is a VERY smart move IMHO.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 08:49 AM »
^If true, I'd predict Skype will soon discover what it means to be classified as a public utility once the Telcos start bitching and the regulators wake up. I think the main reason they've been left alone so long is because the were pretty much their own thing. But once they start directly tying into regulated communications networks, things will change rather quickly for them .  :-\

However, if that *is* the plan, then it makes even more sense to do it through a giant like Microsoft. Because they'd probably get slaughtered if they made a move like that on their own.
 8)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:03 AM by 40hz »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 11:55 AM »
I'm not so sure...
Unplugging from Asterisk severs at least one tie, as Asterisk is a full-fledged PBX system (read: telco interface), and you still have to pay extra to a SIP provider to get to a land-line (just like Skype offers), so that's not much of a foot in the door either.
Also, from everything I read, Microsoft wants to integrate the technology in all their Cloud stuff which pretty much inextricably ties it into use of their software which I must say is miles away from being called a public utility.

Maybe when governments finally wrest control of the internet from the people by calling it a "civil right" we'll see some of that, but hopefully that's still a long way off...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 11:58 AM »
Maybe when governments finally wrest control of the internet from the people by calling it a "civil right" we'll see some of that, but hopefully that's still a long way off...

Sounds like we get screwed by corporations or by governments. Sigh...  :-\

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 02:29 PM »

Sounds like we get screwed by corporations or by governments. Sigh...  :-\

Which is why the lot of them is pushing for a two class system. That way you either have power (like them), or you have to do what you're told (like us). There is no more (inconvenient people) middle ground (class) that (foolishly) thinks they have a right to negotiate.