ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Skype Outage

(1/2) > >>

Renegade:
Man... When Skype goes down, it's a real pain.

My quick take on it:

http://cynic.me/2011/05/27/skype-crashes-but-no-way-microsoft-is-responsible/

The MS bashing is going to be deafening. But I just can't see MS screwing up an 8.5 billion dollar deal that quickly. It should take much longer than that~! :P

Stoic Joker:
You don’t fire people over that. You shoot them. And their families. And pets. And friends. And some random strangers just for good measure.-The Article
--- End quote ---

Over-Kill i.e. ^^^  :D

Thanks, I'll be laughing about that for the rest of the afternoon.

Edvard:
Skype has gone out before, so this is not even eyebrow raising.

I mean, as far as I know, ink on the deal isn't even dry yet, why the hell blame Microsoft so quickly? :huh:
Even the latest flap about Skype severing ties with Asterisk is about a deal that was planned months ago.

Renegade:
Skype has gone out before, so this is not even eyebrow raising.

I mean, as far as I know, ink on the deal isn't even dry yet, why the hell blame Microsoft so quickly? :huh:
Even the latest flap about Skype severing ties with Asterisk is about a deal that was planned months ago.

-Edvard (May 26, 2011, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Skype’s Response:

Jennifer Caukin, a spokeswoman for Skype, has a different slant. Caukin said, “Skype made the decision to retire Skype for Asterisk several months ago, as we have prioritized our focus around implementing the IETF SIP [Session Initiation Protocol]  standard in our Skype Connect solution. SIP enjoys the broadest support of any of the available signaling alternatives by business communications equipment vendors, including Digium.  By supporting SIP in favor of alternatives, we maximize our resources and continue to reinforce our commitment to delivering Skype on key platforms where we can meet the broadest customer demand.”
--- End quote ---

Nope. Can't accept that. Must... Blame... Microsoft...

Meh... I'm no fan of Steve Ballmer, but I don't know if he's at the helm behind that decision. But it's irrelevant. The MS haters will continue to blame MS for killing off Asterisk, famine in North Korea, the slave trade, increasing obesity, and twisted children that torture puppies...

Edvard:
I'm actually excited about this part:
we have prioritized our focus around implementing the IETF SIP [Session Initiation Protocol]  standard in our Skype Connect solution.
--- End quote ---

That means that Skype will then be able to communicate over SIP, which MAY also mean SIP clients would be able to connect to the Skype network (fingers crossed), which is a VERY smart move IMHO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version