ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Zentimo upgrade offer $9,- until 2011-05-29

(1/2) > >>

Ath:
Crystal Rich sent me this offer today:

Dear USB Safely Remove user,

Only until May 29th we are offering you a unique opportunity to purchase Zentimo
for as little as $9 USD (list price is $29.90 USD)!

Haven't heard of Zentimo, yet? Zentimo is an advanced external drive manager
also developed by our company. Comparing to "USB Safely Remove" it offers more
benefits for active USB and SATA devices users: more informative device menu,
portable device settings, portable apps launcher, TrueCrypt integration and many
other features.

More information about Zentimo & this offer is here:
  http://zentimo.com/usbsroffermay11.htm

--
Kind regards,
  USB Safely Remove & Zentimo development team,
  http://crystalrich.com

--- End quote ---

Looks nice IMHO, and might be of interest to others as well.

oblivion:
Looks nice IMHO, and might be of interest to others as well.
-Ath (May 26, 2011, 06:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

In case anyone cares, I've today sent CR a "british-english" language file (had I realised just how much work was involved in translating from "English" to English I might've thought before volunteering  ;) ) so, with a bit of luck, some of the linguistic oddities scattered around Zentimo might become a thing of the past for those of us who care. (I can't guarantee I've sorted everything out -- and of course it's not so UK-centric that US users won't be able to use it. I think.  :)

superboyac:
I have sympathy for Crystal Rich.  I like their software very much, and they are really marketing Zentimo aggressively because of their previous lifetime licenses they offered for USB Safely Remove.  A lot of the lifetime users like me criticized them for launching Zentimo, which is sort of the same thing with a few more powerful features.  I understand the criticism, and it's valid, but at the same time, what are they supposed to do?  Lifetime licenses make it impossible for a business to run.  And with the proliferation of tablets and smartphones, the market for small shareware applications is being dwindled down.  Shareware companies that were once able to make a living providing really awesome utilities for Windows users can't make it anymore.  Most Windows users demand freeware, and won't consider paying for anything anymore.  Apps have taken the place of these shareware programs.

I'm frustrated because I LOVED shareware, and I'm glad I was able to experience to golden era of it.  unfortunately, our financial system really doesn't encourage these types of small-market businesses.  To be successful now, you have to play the game of mediocrity.  Big bloated software suites, cloud applications, anything that artificially binds you to some kind of money-sucking system for no reason.  Software companies today will kill themselves to get people to pay monthly for anything.  No more buying things when only you need it.  Recurring payments is the name of the game today.  Why is it so hard to buy a tablet without having to get some kind of "plan" with it?  Be wary, this is the way everything is going.  next thing you know, you can't buy a computer without having to purchase a monthly data plan with it.  You can't buy a TV without having to buy a cable subscription.

It reminds me of the whole "extended warranty" scam that used to be (or still is?) the main gimmick of the 80's and 90's.  That's where the real money was made.  Now, it's whatever BS monthly charges everyone wants.

And who suffers?  Consumers.  Small companies like Crystal Rich.  it saddens me because they are the guys that are making the truly useful software.  The stuff that we actually want, that fills a specific need.

Midnight Rambler:
Like most if not all software, Zentimo is still a work in process.

I had it installed on my Vista ThinkPad and it had problems figuring out an Aluratek AIRJ01F device attached to a USB port.  Kept getting a rotating hourglass on Zentimo's tray icon indicating a component error even though device worked okay.

Emailed Zentimo's author but they never solved the issue.  In fact, almost seems as if they gave up.

Can't complain, though.  Got Zentimo as a giveaway from another site.  Simply uninstalled it and reinstalled a copy of USB Safely Remove won on this site.  Still get error though.

superboyac:
I've had discussions with some programmers, including ones here.  Sometimes, it's just next to impossible to solve a little problem with Windows.  It's not that the programmers aren't trying hard enough or something.  It's just that it can be too much at times.  I used to be very critical of programmers who wouldn't do this or fix that, but I've seen that a lot of them are really trying hard to do fix things, but sometimes the problem is just larger than the effort that would be considered reasonable or sane.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version