topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Which is more important: the gadget, or the software and apps that runs it?  (Read 37385 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... And Brave New World!! Don't forget about Brave New World!!  :'( :'(
Oh yeah!  Of course!

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow, did this thread ever go off topic!!  :tellme:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow, did this thread ever go off topic!!  :tellme:

More like it expanded to embrace a larger, more important topic.  :)

But that's what makes the occasional DC discussion so worthwhile.  People here aren't afraid to pause for reflection and tackle some of the more difficult issues surrounding our technologies.  :Thmbsup:

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...the plutocracy will grow even more, then.... in our lifetime is the continual erosion of the middle class.... There aren't going to be many opportunities for the non-wealthy to go to good colleges, or even medium-grade colleges.  Education as a whole (elementary, high school) will become poorer in quality and will feel like spinning wheels.  The true, good education will not be available if you don't have a lot of money.  It will really be a plutocracy.  A gradual disappearance of the middle class.

I think we've been there for quite some time. I asked the most respected businessperson in our town (a self-made multi-millionaire and overall good person) what commencement address she'd give to Seniors graduating into this world, this economy. She replied:

-- Don't be afraid to start at the very bottom and work your way up (unless Dad owns the company).
-- Take any job to get started.
-- All work is honorable.
-- It's going to take decades to move up, not years anymore.
-- And by the time you finally make it, be ready to lose your job and start a new career all over because a middle manager who's never met you will want to fire you because you make too much money.
-- Don't be afraid to start at the very bottom....

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
-- Don't be afraid to start at the very bottom....[/i]

Well, there's always crime. It's not really much different than many other professions out there. You screw people to get money. I don't see the difference...

And retirement is only a phone call away~! The sucky part there is the corn-holing... but I suppose all careers have minuses. :P

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You people are making it really hard to curtail my cynicism.

:D

elvisbrown

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Programmer - what else
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
For a few years I ran a photographic gallery and had to put up with gadget geeks going an about how good the Nikon (insert your number here) was compared to the whatever. In extreme cases I would walk them to the walls and point to a photo and ask "what camera was this image taken with". They would then shut the fuck up.

It's about what you do with it or what it does to the world.

Guns are a good example, it is the gun? or the bullet? or what happens when you point it at your head and pull the trigger?
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Guns are a good example, it is the gun? or the bullet? or what happens when you point it at your head and pull the trigger?

a canon?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

a canon?

Gives me the shutters!

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

a canon?

Gives me the shutters!

SNAP!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

a canon?

Gives me the shutters!

Don't be so negative!

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A friend of mine got a shiny new sales job and was able to bring home both a new Motorola Xoom and iPad2. Couldn't believe how much each of them weighed, and was very surprised how responsive and quick the Xoom was. The iPad was impressive in a Apple way, but its basic apps were pretty basic (calendar, notes, etc.). On the iPad2, I had to touch the screen several times to get an app to close or to get one to open. And sometimes when I scrolled a page in Safari, the iPad would grab the entire browser and move it. I'm sure it was my fat fingers, though the Xoom didn't do the same thing.

If I were to further pare back my computer use, I could really -- REALLY -- go for a tablet. Both wanted at least $20/month for a minimal wireless contract. But since they only take Wi-fi and not a wired cable connection, I'm not buying a gadget that only allows one type of connection access. Oh well, I don't have the money anyway.