Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 30, 2014, 11:07:22 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Which is more important: the gadget, or the software and apps that runs it?  (Read 11307 times)
superboyac
Charter Member

Is your software in my list?

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2011, 04:23:46 PM »

... And Brave New World!! Don't forget about Brave New World!!  Cry Cry
Oh yeah!  Of course!

Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »

Wow, did this thread ever go off topic!!  tellme

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »

Wow, did this thread ever go off topic!!  tellme

More like it expanded to embrace a larger, more important topic.  smiley

But that's what makes the occasional DC discussion so worthwhile.  People here aren't afraid to pause for reflection and tackle some of the more difficult issues surrounding our technologies.  Thmbsup

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2011, 01:41:02 AM »

...the plutocracy will grow even more, then.... in our lifetime is the continual erosion of the middle class.... There aren't going to be many opportunities for the non-wealthy to go to good colleges, or even medium-grade colleges.  Education as a whole (elementary, high school) will become poorer in quality and will feel like spinning wheels.  The true, good education will not be available if you don't have a lot of money.  It will really be a plutocracy.  A gradual disappearance of the middle class.

I think we've been there for quite some time. I asked the most respected businessperson in our town (a self-made multi-millionaire and overall good person) what commencement address she'd give to Seniors graduating into this world, this economy. She replied:

-- Don't be afraid to start at the very bottom and work your way up (unless Dad owns the company).
-- Take any job to get started.
-- All work is honorable.
-- It's going to take decades to move up, not years anymore.
-- And by the time you finally make it, be ready to lose your job and start a new career all over because a middle manager who's never met you will want to fire you because you make too much money.
-- Don't be afraid to start at the very bottom....

- zaine (on Google+)
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2011, 06:28:33 AM »

-- Don't be afraid to start at the very bottom....[/i]

Well, there's always crime. It's not really much different than many other professions out there. You screw people to get money. I don't see the difference...

And retirement is only a phone call away~! The sucky part there is the corn-holing... but I suppose all careers have minuses. tongue

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2011, 07:09:06 AM »

You people are making it really hard to curtail my cynicism.

cheesy
elvisbrown
Charter Member

Programmer - what else

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2011, 06:56:01 AM »

For a few years I ran a photographic gallery and had to put up with gadget geeks going an about how good the Nikon (insert your number here) was compared to the whatever. In extreme cases I would walk them to the walls and point to a photo and ask "what camera was this image taken with". They would then shut the fuck up.

It's about what you do with it or what it does to the world.

Guns are a good example, it is the gun? or the bullet? or what happens when you point it at your head and pull the trigger?

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left
Target
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2011, 06:59:51 PM »

Guns are a good example, it is the gun? or the bullet? or what happens when you point it at your head and pull the trigger?

a canon?

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2011, 10:00:48 PM »

a canon?

Gives me the shutters!

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2011, 10:08:24 PM »

a canon?

Gives me the shutters!

SNAP!

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2011, 12:42:52 PM »

a canon?

Gives me the shutters!

Don't be so negative!

Chris
zridling
Friend of the Site
Charter Member

Linux captive

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2011, 01:56:45 AM »

A friend of mine got a shiny new sales job and was able to bring home both a new Motorola Xoom and iPad2. Couldn't believe how much each of them weighed, and was very surprised how responsive and quick the Xoom was. The iPad was impressive in a Apple way, but its basic apps were pretty basic (calendar, notes, etc.). On the iPad2, I had to touch the screen several times to get an app to close or to get one to open. And sometimes when I scrolled a page in Safari, the iPad would grab the entire browser and move it. I'm sure it was my fat fingers, though the Xoom didn't do the same thing.

If I were to further pare back my computer use, I could really -- REALLY -- go for a tablet. Both wanted at least $20/month for a minimal wireless contract. But since they only take Wi-fi and not a wired cable connection, I'm not buying a gadget that only allows one type of connection access. Oh well, I don't have the money anyway.

- zaine (on Google+)
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.037s | Server load: 0.12 ]